Is pineapple on pizza acceptable?

Just working it out. Today is my 66th birthday and this trip was when I was 25 - so 41 years ago. Blimey!!!

To get back on topic, I still remember the pizza I ate on the Piazza in Rome and it was certainly without pineapple!
I've just remembered I've been to Italy twice - once in 1965 (Switzerland and northern Italy), and again in 1966 (Venice, Rimini, San Marino, Rome, Vatican City) - but definitely no pizzas. BTW a late Happy Birthday!

3= Quattro Stagione = Proscuitto, olives, anchovies, artichokes, peppers & bufala d´ mozzarella ..

One of my all time favourites. However, to obtain sufficient toppings where I live is a one-off occurrence. But no anchovies on mine (I don't like anchovies) and definitely no pineapple. We have pineapple by the shed load here and I like it (not too ripe) but not on pizza.

quatro stagioni.jpg

I've tried pineapple (with ham) on pizza before, and I can understand why someone would like it, but it's far from my favorite. But, I do know of people who seem to want to add pineapple to just about anything. I suspect they just like the taste of pineapple. So do I...if all I want to taste is pineapple. My issue with pineapple, in almost any application, is that the flavor tends to obliterate other flavors.

While it's true that you can certainly put whatever you want when you eat, pizza tends to be more a group thing than other foods. This is easily remedied by doing what @Yorky just depicted: building a pizza with custom parts that suit the people eating it (though usually more than halves are hard to manage).

Having said that, I do know of people who don't want to have certain ingredients anywhere on the same pizza, even if they're on the other half of the pie. I get this all the time when it comes to anchovies, which I now make sure to add later to the pizza if I want them.

I'm not a fan of pineapple on pizza. We do make grilled pizza with fruit though. Two that I really like are proscuitto, figs and gorgonzola and blackened crawfish, andouille sausage with a spicy apricot sauce. Whether you use pizza dough, flat bread or focaccia for a base, you can top it as you like.

I'm not a fan of pineapple on pizza. We do make grilled pizza with fruit though. Two that I really like are proscuitto, figs and gorgonzola and blackened crawfish, andouille sausage with a spicy apricot sauce. Whether you use pizza dough, flat bread or focaccia for a base, you can top it as you like.

Figs! I had never considered putting figs on pizza - I can see that would really work with proscuitto and blue cheese. The crawfish (crayfish in UK) idea sounds lovely too. You are giving me ideas!

Figs! I had never considered putting figs on pizza - I can see that would really work with proscuitto and blue cheese. The crawfish (crayfish in UK) idea sounds lovely too. You are giving me ideas!

The clawless lobster we have in Florida and through out the Caribbean are referred to as crayfish. I also think that they are called that in Australia and several other countries. Some folks refer to the freshwater crawfish as crayfish, crawdads and mud bugs. Isn't giving folks ideas part of sharing different cuisines?

This was our catch from a day of diving (back when the limit was 24 per boat). They are also called bugs. Four people could fit around that circular section of that counter.
36788-albums309-picture5579.jpg

These are crawfish/mud bugs from Louisiana. Who put that blue crab on my crawfish?
36788-albums309-picture5576.jpg

The clawless lobster we have in Florida and through out the Caribbean are referred to as crayfish. I also think that they are called that in Australia and several other countries. Some folks refer to the freshwater crawfish as crayfish, crawdads and mud bugs. Isn't giving folks ideas part of sharing different cuisines?

Yes! Its quite confusing sometimes when we have different names for things. Here crayfish are these critters:

Unknown-185.jpg

Your catch looks magnificent! :D

Back
Top Bottom