Italian Food

No I haven't ever seen this ...Although I am Italian. Do you have any recipe?

You can find Fregola at Esselunga, but I prefer the version homemade prepared by my mum (she is from Sardegna) or take it when I go to Sardegna to my relatives. Anyway, is very easy to do: semolina's flour, water and a pinch of salt and then prepared as a cous cous. I'm thinking to prepare it with clams and a bit of bottarga. I'll post the recipe.

Fregola with clams...
Fregola con arselle.jpg

Italian coffee (made with Moka):
Espresso, normal, decaffeinated, extra strong, black, with Moka*, with a warm dash of milk or with a cold dash of milk, in a cup or in a glass (so used in Rome), soluble, cold, with a shot of spirits. There are so many ways to say one thing: Coffee ! Fundamental for Italians, especially in the morning to wake up and give us the waking up,tasted at least other four times during the day.

I can not quote Naples where the culture of coffee is more rooted, is a real tradition. There is a nice story about it: “Caffè sospeso – Pendent coffee”, a tradition born in Naples during World War II. For solidarity, who could pay their coffee at the cashier, then add another one “pendent”, intended for anyone in-need who asked. A gift of generosity.

Mezza bella.jpg

Italian coffee.jpg

Coffee ! Fundamental for Italians, especially in the morning to wake up and give us the waking up,tasted at least other four times during the day.

I haven't drunk any coffee in a long time. I once got addicted and very hyper (I was in my twenties)! Its not something I crave. But I know its a tradition in Europe. In the UK its been steadily gaining ground and I think it may be the case that more people drink coffee than tea here now.

Last edited:
I could drink coffee till it comes out of my ears, providing it's decaf. I'm not supposed to drink ordinary coffee (or tea, for that matter), but I do have the occasional cup before I drive home from my daughter's as I usually come home late at night to avoid the worst of the traffic in east London. The only problem with decaf coffee is the lack of variety. Most of the supermarkets sell their own blends but these can be pretty awful. Sainsbury's do a nice Colombian decaf, and of course there's Lavazza. I've also bought some Taylor's decaf to try - that should be OK.

Hi all,

I did not read all of the post on this thread. Just skipped around.

I love Italian food - the real stuff.

I have been to San Diego numerous times and India St. is their version of Little Italy. My first trip was in the late 80's. I discovered Caprese Salad. It was served as a starter but I love making it at home for lunch - especially during the summer when I have fresh basil and tomatoes from my garden.

Drizzle a platter with Extra Virgin First Cold Pressed Olive Oil. I like using a beefy tomato cut kind of thick - 1/4". Topped with Buffalo Mozzarella (sold at specialty stores in the whey. Sprinkled with chopped, fresh basil then a drizzle of Aged Balsamic Vinegar (the older the better) A summer party in your mouth.

I also like and make Spaghetti ala Puttanesca - of course with home grown tomatoes. The capers, anchovies and Kalamata Olives combine beautifully with the tomatoes, onions and garlic. There is such a beautiful, multi layered depth of flavor.

I love Osso Bucco. I have made it very successfully. That is a special occasion meal because the veal is so pricy - $15 per lb. A friend of mine told me about a much less expensive version of Osso Bucco - use pork shank. I can get that for $1.59 per lb. HUGE difference!

I love home made Italian sausage!

We have sausage making equipment and have made our own. It was very good but not exactly right. I have not yet found the perfect recipe. If any of you from Italy or its environs have a family recipe for Italian Sausage I would be very grateful if you would share it with me.

My Step Son's friend, Sam, has sent me packages of home made Italian Sausage. Sam's Dad is first generation Italian American.. I have begged for the recipe. Sam said his Dad will not even give the recipe to his children. He will leave it to them in his will!

Veal Parmesan, eggplant parmesan, Fettuccini Alfredo. Living so close to the Gulf of Mexico I have access to lots of wonderful, fresh seafood. I am very fond of Fettuccini Alfredo with either fresh oysters, Gulf shrimp or lump white meat from our Blue Point crabs. I serve it with a salad and fresh bread with a crunchy crust from a local Artisan Bakery - a side dish becomes a meal. .

Thanks for the topic!

Back
Top Bottom