MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:56 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
IMG_0031.jpg
IMG_0037.jpg

A simple and creamy homemade tomato and ricotta sauce hugs this truly delightful oven-baked Paccheri pasta. Not to mention the extra crispy topping!
Paccheri is a large tube-shaped short pasta made from durum wheat semolina flour originating from the Campania region. Paccheri Pasta is also known as 'Schiaffoni' - Big Slaps - because of the sound they make when slapped onto the plate.

Serves 4, Preparation 20 mins, Cooking 30-40 mins

• 350 g Italian Paccheri pasta
  • 700 g Tomato passata
  • 300 g sheep's milk ricotta
  • 200 g fresh mozzarella
  • 4 tablespoons of Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • half an onion, finely minced
  • 80 g grated Parmigiano cheese
  • Salt and black ground pepper, to taste

Method

In a large saucepan, sauté chopped onion in 3 tablespoons of EVOO. As soon as it starts to brown, add tomato Passata and a pinch of salt.

Cook with the lid on for 15 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken. Switch off the heat. Add the ricotta and a pinch of black pepper, stir to mix.

Boil Paccheri in plenty of salted water, drain when al dente and transfer to the sauce, stir to season evenly.

Dice the mozzarella.

Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4.

Spoon a couple of heaping tablespoons sauce into the bottom of an oven dish. Place an even first layer of pasta in the dish, add mozzarella pieces and a generous sprinkling of grated Parmigiano cheese.
Build second layer of pasta to cover with the rest of tomato sauce, the last pieces of mozzarella, another sprinkle with grated Parmigiano, a drizzle of EVOO.

Bake in the preheated static oven about 25 minutes or until the surface is au gratin.

Take out of the oven, allow to rest a few mins before serving.

Bookmarked!

I’ll have to look for Paccheri - that’s not something I normally see, though looking at it online, I think I could substitute rigatoni if I had to.

Bookmarked!

I’ll have to look for Paccheri - that’s not something I normally see, though looking at it online, I think I could substitute rigatoni if I had to.

You could but Paccheri is a lot bigger around than rigatoni, a lot. We have to go to the Italian market to get it.

I'm actually surprised you can get passata, as we have to go to the Italian market for that as well.

I'm actually surprised you can get passata, as we have to go to the Italian market for that as well.
I can get that at the gourmet market and the international market. I can probably get the pasta there as well; I’d never heard of it before, so I’ve never looked.

I was just at the international market yesterday… 😠

I can get that at the gourmet market and the international market. I can probably get the pasta there as well; I’d never heard of it before, so I’ve never looked.

I was just at the international market yesterday… 😠

I don’t know which brand of pasta you’ll find at the Italian market, I’ve used Garofalo Paccheri Pasta, however other good brands are Rummo, De Cecco, Gragnano.

I don’t know which brand of pasta you’ll find at the Italian market, I’ve used Garofalo Paccheri Pasta, however other good brands are Rummo, De Cecco, Gragnano.
Thanks! I know I can get De Cecco products, even in my little town, but it’s just the usual ones (common here), like penne and spaghetti, so there’s hope I’ll find it at a bigger location.

Thanks! I know I can get De Cecco products, even in my little town, but it’s just the usual ones (common here), like penne and spaghetti, so there’s hope I’ll find it at a bigger location.

Not sure then if you can find Paccheri De Cecco over there, maybe it could be easier with the Neapolitan ones like Garofalo, Gragnano, maybe Voiello.

You could but Paccheri is a lot bigger around than rigatoni, a lot. We have to go to the Italian market to get it.

I can get passata at H-E-B here. They have Paccheri De Cecco, too.

CD

Isn't passata tomato paste or tomato puree?

Isn't passata tomato paste or tomato puree?

It's an uncooked or just barely cooked puree, with skin and seeds removed, before canning, unlike American tomato paste or even puree and has a fresher taste, at least when it is a product of Italy.

Back
Top Bottom