Recipe Italian wedding cake

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:32 PM
This cake has been around forever in the southern part of the U.S. It is also called Italian cream cake. I sincerely doubt it is actually Italian and I have no idea how it got its name, but it's great. I remember having this cake as a very small child. Once again, no picture because I haven't made it in a couple of years. Oh, and if you have a coconut hater, you can leave the coconut out of the frosting, they'll never know it's in the cake unless you tell them.

Three 9 inch cake pans

Cake

2 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
5 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
14 oz package sweetened flaked coconut, divided
1-1/2 cups pecan pieces toasted, chopped fairly finely, divided

Frosting:
Two 8 ounces packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter, softened
2 lb 10x powdered sugar, sifted
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
Reserved coconut
Reserved 1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped fairly finely

Butter and flour cake pans. Preheat oven to 350 F.

Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder together. In a stand mixer preferably, cream butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla and almond extracts together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each, scraping bowl as necessary. Add the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk. After all is added, increase speed slightly and mix until well blended, scraping bowl as necessary. Mix in half of the coconut and 1 cup of the pecans. Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake 25-30 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool completely.

To make frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. Add the extracts and blend well. Gradually beat in 10x sugar until frosting is smooth and spreadable. Fold in reserved coconut.

Place 1 cake layer onto serving dish, line around the cake with strips of wax paper. Add remaining layers, using about 1/4 to 1/3 cup frosting between each layer. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting. Sprinkle top of cake with reserved pecans. Remove wax paper strips. Serve.

Last edited:
I LOVE coconut frosting.

I remember having this cake years ago at a restaurant on Sanibel. I think it was The Timbers restaurant, or something like that.

One of the best cakes I've ever had in my life.

Thanks, med.

Finally made this cake. I apparently made a mistake somewhere along the way when I was writing or typing. The amount of frosting should be more like 3/4 to 1 cup in between layers. I had a lot left to pile on the top.

I would eat that cake, and that looks like a perfect amount of frosting.

Back
Top Bottom