Jackfruit

creative

Veteran
Local time
4:28 PM
I just watched "Come Dine With Me" (one of my fav programmes) and a vegan there served marinated and barbecued jackfruit. She said it was like pulled pork and it certainly looked like it. It went down well. A google search confirms what she said. I have never tried it and wonder if anyone here has. If so, what was it like - in flavour and texture?

I've never tried it - mainly because I don't know where I can buy it! Apparently it is quite bland but has texture and so takes on the flavours it is cooked with. It can be bought in tins in my local Asian supermarket but not fresh. In London, I'm sure you can obtain it from Afro-Caribbean Markets.

I've never tried it - mainly because I don't know where I can buy it! Apparently it is quite bland but has texture and so takes on the flavours it is cooked with. It can be bought in tins in my local Asian supermarket but not fresh. In London, I'm sure you can obtain it from Afro-Caribbean Markets.
The blandness would explain why the vegan gave it a hefty marinade before barbecuing it! Yes I read something about going to Asian shops to get it....and apparently it has a sticky latex juice that stains! Not really motivated to try it. Seems like all it's got going for it, re. a meat substitute, is the stringy factor! (You could get that from marrow spaghetti too I think - not tried that either but am guessing it is also bland).

IMG_9413.JPG
IMG_9414.JPG
I had it in Uganda (where it grew in abundance) and thought it was absolutely delicious. I thought it had a sweet, almost custardy taste, but I wonder if different varieties have different tastes.

They looked so other worldly growing in the garden where I lived.

Back
Top Bottom