Jamming.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Food Discussions' started by LadyBelle, Aug 12, 2018.

1. LadyBelle

LadyBelle Senior Member

E2106B87-6A9A-4ED4-90A3-996F5E24D36A.jpeg

Had a glut of strawberries so thought I’d have a go at making jam. Used gin instead of water but have to be honest can’t really taste it!

This is a bit too sweet for my taste but every one I’ve given a jar to has liked it. Managed to get a decent set. I think strawberry jam is easy to make so I’m not being too smug ;-)

Anyone else a jam maker?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2018
    morning glory likes this.
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

Love your labels! Maybe the sweetness overpowered the gin taste. As you will know, gin has juniper in it so I suppose you could have added extra juniper to boost the flavour. But, I'll be honest - strawberry and juniper doesn't strike me as a perfect partnership. Gin in marmalade would be another matter though!

3. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Midlands, England

I once made raspberry jam, it was nice but as I am the only 1 who eats it it isn't worth doing it again.

LadyBelle likes this.
  4. LadyBelle

LadyBelle Senior Member

Wilko’s labels! Cheap and cheerful (like me - apart from the cheerful!).

Yeah, I used a strong tasting gin - that was not to my taste as I wanted to get it used up. It’s edible so I’m not unhappy.

5. LadyBelle

LadyBelle Senior Member

Yeah I’m not a jam lover, so it’s been given to a few friends and neighbors. Kept some for Victoria sponge filling.