Recipe Japanese Korokke

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
8:11 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
Japanese "Korokke" are very much like croquettes that we would have elsewhere in the world! They're a favorite of mine to eat but I've never made them. Here's a recipe I found online (original source here: http://www.food.com/recipe/japanese-meat-and-potato-korokke-164690)

Ingredients

1 lb potato
1⁄4 lb ground beef
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1⁄2 onion
1 egg
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
pepper (to season)
flour
panko breadcrumbs (breadcrumb)
vegetable oil (for frying)

Directions
  1. Peel and cut potatoes into medium chunks. Boil potatoes until soften. Mash potatoes and set aside.
  2. Mince onion and saute in a frying pan. Add ground beef in the pan and saute. Mix mashed potato, green onion and beef in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
  3. Make flat and oval-shaped pieces about 3" in diameter and 3/4" thick (a little bigger that a cookie). Coat each piece with flour. Dip in beaten egg. Coat with panko. Fry in 350 F oil until brown.

Japanese Korokke are delicious. My family make these for get togethers as bite sized discs. Since we all share a love of kimchi too, she serves these with Kimchi. Sounds a bit strange. We also make these a variety of ways with different meat/veggies included. So its much like a surprise when you bite into them.

Japanese "Korokke" are very much like croquettes that we would have elsewhere in the world! They're a favorite of mine to eat but I've never made them. Here's a recipe I found online (original source here: http://www.food.com/recipe/japanese-meat-and-potato-korokke-164690)

Ingredients

1 lb potato
1⁄4 lb ground beef
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1⁄2 onion
1 egg
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
pepper (to season)
flour
panko breadcrumbs (breadcrumb)
vegetable oil (for frying)

Directions
  1. Peel and cut potatoes into medium chunks. Boil potatoes until soften. Mash potatoes and set aside.
  2. Mince onion and saute in a frying pan. Add ground beef in the pan and saute. Mix mashed potato, green onion and beef in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well.
  3. Make flat and oval-shaped pieces about 3" in diameter and 3/4" thick (a little bigger that a cookie). Coat each piece with flour. Dip in beaten egg. Coat with panko. Fry in 350 F oil until brown.
Is the a recipe for The CookingBites Recipe Challenge! I do hope so...

I have never had this before but I am going to give it a try. It does sound really good! :)

They look very good really. I think it would be something I might want to try sometime. I never tried to make any Japanese meals, although once I went through a tempura vegetables craze. I liked those. It looks like a meaty dumpling of sorts.

The recipe really sounds to be very 'Western' as you say @cupcakechef: basically potato and meat croquettes! Delicious too. I make something similar where the meat is surrounded by the mashed potato (rather than mixed in) and then coated in breadcrumbs and fried.

Last edited:
Korokke.jpg
Is this an accurate picture of what they look like @cupcakechef? I am a photo addict when it comes to recipes. I like to have a mental picture of what the recipe should look like. Interesting recipe.

Japanese Korokke are delicious. My family make these for get togethers as bite sized discs. Since we all share a love of kimchi too, she serves these with Kimchi. Sounds a bit strange. We also make these a variety of ways with different meat/veggies included. So its much like a surprise when you bite into them.
I think it would be wonderful with kimchi! My plan is to make my own kimchi. We can't really buy it here in the UK. :(

I think it would be wonderful with kimchi! My plan is to make my own kimchi. We can't really buy it here in the UK. :(

We have one korean supermarket here. They sell some here but it's not the true kimchi. We have to make it if we want to eat it! It's good thing on my mom's side, they are avid kimchi makers already! I can just ask for some tips here and there. :) The true kimchi with the Napa Cabbage is my favorite, although I've had it with so many different vegetables too.

Back
Top Bottom