Jarred artichoke hearts

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
12:18 PM
I bought these artichoke hearts today, packed in water:

IMG_4635.jpeg

There’s a stern warning on the reverse that says once opened, they must be consumed within a mere three days.

I don’t really cook or make anything with artichokes - I can honestly say this is probably just the third time I’ve ever bought them in any form.

So…I plan to go a-googling here shortly, but thought I’d check with the fine folks here and ask:

“Fine folks here, if you had to use these up in three days, what would you do with them?”

Thanks!

Spinach and artichoke dip! I would put some of them on a salad 1st night and make the dip another day.

Best Spinach and Artichoke Dip - Recipe - Cooks.com I cut this recipe in half when I did it and I think I made some improvisations (because that's how I roll, LOL). Pretty sure I used white cheddar instead of Monterey jack and added some diced red bell pepper.

I guess I had better throw out that jar that's been in my refrigerator for a couple of months, then.

Salad is the obvious answer but really you can use them in many ways. How about a pasta dish with olives and capers? I just made that up...

I always find tinned or jarred artichokes a disappointment compared with the fresh. In fact they are so different its almost like a different vegetable.

Salad is the obvious answer but really you can use them in many ways. How about a pasta dish with olives and capers? I just made that up...

I always find tinned or jarred artichokes a disappointment compared with the fresh. In fact they are so different its almost like a different vegetable.
Agreed on that. I love them fresh steamed and then I dip the trimmed leaves in Hollandaise while eating them. It's not pretty and I wouldn't do it in public, because it's really more like scraping off the tender bits with my teeth and discarding the woody part, LOL. Ahhh, and then the tender hearts...I would save those and do something special with them!

Yeah, I could see artichokes with chicken, lemon, wine, butter, capers, a few colorful diced bell peppers, shallots, and spinach with a tortellini or even just a nice fresh fettucine pasta.

I think I also have some excess frozen chopped spinach, so that might work. Thanks.
You could try some light sour cream to cut back on WW points for MrsT. I wouldn't try fat free cheese, though.

I wouldn't try fat free cheese, though.
She won’t go that far. Even the low-fat stuff breaks her heart. She had extra points yesterday, so she got regular full fat cheese on her salad and she almost cried (for real).

She won’t go that far. Even the low-fat stuff breaks her heart. She had extra points yesterday, so she got regular full fat cheese on her salad and she almost cried (for real).
Yeah, I think the low-fat sour cream doesn't taste that much different (same with the low fat cream cheese) than full fat, especially when mixed in with other stuff. I guess moderation would be key with this one since everything in it is rather high calories from fat. But soooo delicious!

Yeah, I think the low-fat sour cream doesn't taste that much different (same with the low fat cream cheese) than full fat, especially when mixed in with other stuff. I guess moderation would be key with this one since everything in it is rather high calories from fat. But soooo delicious!

Daisy low fat sour cream tastes just as good as the full fat version, to me. That is one of the name brands I'll pay extra for. Some of the store brands have a lot of other "stuff" in the ingredients. Daisy ingredients: Cultured cream. That's all.

CD

I've used them as an ingredient in a tossed salad. We sometimes enjoy boiled fresh artichokes dipped in hollandaise sauce. You can do the same thing with a jarred artichoke heart.

“Fine folks here, if you had to use these up in three days, what would you do with them?”
  • Drain them, season, eggwash and breadcrumbs, deep fry and serve with garlic aioli (had some in Barcelona. Divine!)
  • Saute with leeks and diced bacon, add cream, use them to fill a pasty/empanada/hand pie or even a quiche.
  • Fry them gently in butter, wrap them in strips of bacon and bake until the bacon is crispy.
  • Marinate in olive oil, garlic and sage. Cut some nice thick rounds of crusty bread, lightly toast one side, cover with slice of Parma ham (or Spanish "Iberico" ham) and place an artichoke heart on top. Montadito in Spanish, something like a bruschetta in Italy.
  • Marinate in olive oil, garlic. add to a pulled pork sandwich.
  • Cut into 4. Mix with crushed garlic, black olives, sundried tomatoes, red peppers, cubed, grilled zucchini and a tsp of capers. Tuscan style antipasto. When I make this, I bulk it out a bit with a squash called Chayote, which is exceedingly delicate in flavour so doesn't mask the flavours.

• Drain them, season, eggwash and breadcrumbs, deep fry and serve with garlic aioli (had some in Barcelona. Divine!)
  • Saute with leeks and diced bacon, add cream, use them to fill a pasty/empanada/hand pie or even a quiche.
  • Fry them gently in butter, wrap them in strips of bacon and bake until the bacon is crispy.
  • Marinate in olive oil, garlic and sage. Cut some nice thick rounds of crusty bread, lightly toast one side, cover with slice of Parma ham (or Spanish "Iberico" ham) and place an artichoke heart on top. Montadito in Spanish, something like a bruschetta in Italy.
  • Marinate in olive oil, garlic. add to a pulled pork sandwich.
  • Cut into 4. Mix with crushed garlic, black olives, sundried tomatoes, red peppers, cubed, grilled zucchini and a tsp of capers. Tuscan style antipasto. When I make this, I bulk it out a bit with a squash called Chayote, which is exceedingly delicate in flavour so doesn't mask the flavours.
Those all sound great!

Back
Top Bottom