Jarred artichoke hearts

• Drain them, season, eggwash and breadcrumbs, deep fry and serve with garlic aioli (had some in Barcelona. Divine!)
  • Saute with leeks and diced bacon, add cream, use them to fill a pasty/empanada/hand pie or even a quiche.
  • Fry them gently in butter, wrap them in strips of bacon and bake until the bacon is crispy.
  • Marinate in olive oil, garlic and sage. Cut some nice thick rounds of crusty bread, lightly toast one side, cover with slice of Parma ham (or Spanish "Iberico" ham) and place an artichoke heart on top. Montadito in Spanish, something like a bruschetta in Italy.
  • Marinate in olive oil, garlic. add to a pulled pork sandwich.
  • Cut into 4. Mix with crushed garlic, black olives, sundried tomatoes, red peppers, cubed, grilled zucchini and a tsp of capers. Tuscan style antipasto. When I make this, I bulk it out a bit with a squash called Chayote, which is exceedingly delicate in flavour so doesn't mask the flavours.
I think he's gonna need a few more jars.

Artichokes are one of my favourite vegetables, and they're also relatively cheap over here. I very rarely buy them in jars or tins; almost always fresh.
They can be found fresh here but they aren't cheap. I saw some large ones on sale for $1.50 each awhile back here in Ohio. When I was visiting a friend in California i saw them for .50 cents each.

My experience with fresh artichokes is as follows:

1. Watch five videos on how to clean and prep a fresh artichoke.

2. Start breaking off the outer leaves.

3. Break…break…break…

4. Suddenly find nothing in my hands except the fuzzy part.

5. Throw everything in the trash.

3. Break…break…break…

1. Snap off the outer leaves, discarding only the very tiny ones. Put the leaves aside.
  2. When the leaves begin to change colour and have a purple tinge to them, remove these and discard.
  3. Using a spoon, remove the hairy bit (the choke) until you have a stem with the heart on top.
  4. Trim round the stem to remove any green bits.
  5. Peel the stem (if there is one) with a vegetable peeler.
  6. Put the heart into water dosed with lemon juice, so the heart doesnt discolour.
  7. Put the leaves you removed into boiling salted water and cook for about 10 minutes. You can then eat the end parts, with salt, melted butter, lemon juice or even aioli.
  8. Put the artichoke hearts , stem up, into a pan. Try to cover the bottom of the pan completely, in one layer.
  9. Add thyme, oregano, olive oil, two or three sliced garlic cloves, a splash of wine vinegar, salt and peppercorns. Add water until it barely reaches the top of the heart.
  10. Put a tight lid on the pan and poach gently for about 10-15 minutes, until the hearts are just soft.
  11. Allow to cool and serve with extra olive oil if desired. Carciofi alla Romana, or alla Giudea (Roman style or Jewish style)
    alcachofas romanas.JPG

3. Break…break…break…

You missed treat. Either that or they were dried up old artichokes.

Last edited:

3. Break…break…break…

No. The leaves have the same thing at the bottoms as the heart. Dip the leaves individually in the sauce and scrape the good stuff off with your teeth.

The leaves are my favorite part. We pick them off the boiled artichoke and dip the bottom end in hollandaise. Then we scrape the sauced aritchoke meat from the leaves with our teeth. It's actually fun. You can do this until you get to the little leaves without anything worth eating on them, remove the hairy section from the heart and then dip that in hollandaise. I love hollandaise sauce. I use for all kinds of things.

Back
Top Bottom