Just treated myself to this knife

My wife picked this one up from a local supermarket last week, it was only Bht 1.00 (after you had collected coupons by spending Bht 17,000.00 (A$ 680.00) in the store!

vivo knife.jpg

For me, it is how it handles and is balanced that counts. I have a beautiful walnut handled outdoor knife that is perfectly balanced and I have a cheap £10 one as well. I know which one we (my OH and I) both prefer to use. It is the same with the knives. We have cheap ones, we have had mid range ones, we have had the Global range ones and then there is this one and you can tell the difference immediately. I used to work in the catering industry (many moons ago) and something I became very aware of was how knives handled. Yes cheap ones do the job, but I have to look at them and watch my fingers. With this one, I just know where the blade is, as with my outdoor knife. I think it applies to everything. I have a cheap and cheerful axe and it is always just over the mark and off to the left of where I want. It was the same when I used to shoot, top and right until I purchased some decent quality sights. After that I only had to compensate for distance and wind (with it being an air-rifle and lower powered). It makes all the difference and this time I have no intention of the kind hearted sister giving her stuff to her brothers and sisters when she leaves the country. I'm keeping this stuff and it won't be given away!

My 10" cook's knife (I now have two) I use for everything: peeling and chopping/smashing garlic, chopping tiny prik kee noo chillis, chopping/slicing onions and cubing joints of meat, etc., etc. My wife has smaller knives but I only use those for opening packages. However, I do use a "bread knife" for slicing bread.

My 10" cook's knife (I now have two) I use for everything: peeling and chopping/smashing garlic, chopping tiny prik kee noo chillis, chopping/slicing onions and cubing joints of meat, etc., etc. My wife has smaller knives but I only use those for opening packages. However, I do use a "bread knife" for slicing bread.
I have a couple of small knives that I have had for a long time. They travel everywhere with me and a small diamond whetstone which I use to sharpen them. One is a very old 3 inch (?) paring knife which now has a distinct bow to the blade and the other a 2 inch knife. I can't describe either - so I will photo them tomorrow, it will be easier!

Other than occasionally peeling potatoes (I have a separate implement for that) I don't think that I pare anything. If I was required to remove the "skin" from anything, it is likely that I would still use the 10" knife (albeit in a slightly different way to the use of a paring knife). E.g. removing the skin from old ginger (not from young ginger).

I don't just use it for paring, but do find it exceptionally useful for slicing apples to vote before eating, peeling oranges and then getting the pith off, cutting up lemons and limes and as before travelling with. It does very conveniently inside the sandwich container down the side, not across the diagonal which is really useful at times. But I often also chop with it, cut up potatoes etc when I'm being lazy. It had been an amazingly useful knife over the years and I guess you just adapt to using it. It is fantastic for peeling garlic for instance. Tomorrow I'll take their pictures... Right in off to bed, these broken rings have me exhausted and I want to make the most of what little sleep I can get at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom