Recipe Königsberg-style Meatballs (Königsberger Klopse)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:16 PM
Königsberg-style Meatballs (Königsberger Klopse)
Makes 12 servings

Ingredients
For the meatballs:
2 cups slightly stale large bread crumbs from hard rolls
Enough water to soak breadcrumbs
2 pounds ground lean beef
1 pound ground pork
2 minced shallots, or 1 small white onion, minced
1/2 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp lemon juice
1 TB juice from jar of capers
2 anchovies, minced, plus 1 tsp salt (or omit anchovies and use 2 tsp salt)
White pepper to taste
2 eggs, beaten
1 egg white
6 cups beef or veal stock

For the caper sauce:
4 TB butter
1 shallot, minced
4 TB flour
1/2 cup white wine
1 egg yolk
1 TB capers
Few drops lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Pour water over breadcrumbs; when thoroughly soaked, squeeze out the water. Add soaked bread to the ground beef and pork, work with fingers to a paste. Add minced shallots or onion, lemon rind, lemon and caper juice, the minced anchovies, salt and pepper, then the beaten eggs and the egg white; work until smooth, form into 2-inch meatballs.

Bring broth to a boil. While boiling rapidly, add the meatballs, taking care ot to crowd the pot. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until meatballs come to the top. Strain broth and set aside.

Keep meatballs warm while preparing the sauce. Melt butter in skillet or saucepan, add minced shallot, cook until shallot is soft. Stir in flour, cook until it bubbles. Slowly stir in 2 1/2 to 3 cups strained broth and wine, simmer until smooth and thickened. Beat the egg yolk until thick, add some of the broth, then combine the two, cook, stirring constantly, until consistency of thick cream. Add capers and lemon juice. Taste for seasoning, add more salt if it needs it, and pepper to taste. If sauce is too thick, add more broth. Add the meatballs to the sauce, keep them warm in the sauce until time to serve. Serve with salted boiled potatoes (Salzkartoffeln) and green bean salad (Bohnensalat).

Recipe from Betty Wason’s “Art of German Cooking”

The CookingBites recipe challenge: capers/caper berries

My wife bought some meatballs home recently and asked me to try. She said they were good.
She was right. I loved them. Store bought she will be ordering next week. I'm looking forward to this.

Russ

Ooh, this looks good! We’re in a rut with meatballs and always go with boring old meatballs in tomato sauce over pasta. This is definitely a change of pace, looking forward to trying it!

Ooh, this looks good! We’re in a rut with meatballs and always go with boring old meatballs in tomato sauce over pasta. This is definitely a change of pace, looking forward to trying it!
Thanks…when the meatballs were done, before I made the sauce, we sampled them, and what we really noticed that made these a little different, was the lemon zest.

It actually made the meatballs taste like a light, sunshiny, Spring food, which is no easy feat, considering they’re usually associated with heavy, substantial meals.

Definitely going to try these, like the idea of the lemon.

Love a bit of willow pattern.
Churchill perchance?
Yep:

IMG_4545.jpeg

The story behind these is that they belonged to my uncle and his second wife (they married later in life, and boy is that a movie-of-the-week story…), and when they moved to a different house, they gave a bunch of stuff to one of my brothers, including this full set of dishes (two sizes of plates, two sizes of bowls, cups and saucers, coffee mugs, serving bowls, a platter, gravy boat, soup tureen, teapot, creamer, sugar dish, butter dish, pickle and olive dish, etc) - eight place settings (I think).

Being the hardcore hillbilly that he is, and knowing I think I was swapped at birth and taken from my true English family and handed over to…well, whatever, he offered them up to me…for free (I emphasize that, because normally, he never passes an opportunity to make a buck)! I snapped those right up.

My belief is, after doing a little research, is these were either bought mailorder from a place like Fingerhut or Lilian Vernon, or she bought these piece by piece through a supermarket promotion (a different piece offered each week at a “special” price as an enticement to get shoppers in the store).

Either way, I nabbed them up, even though we really had no place to store them, and I use them for afternoon tea a lot.

Yep:

View attachment 100623

The story behind these is that they belonged to my uncle and his second wife (they married later in life, and boy is that a movie-of-the-week story…), and when they moved to a different house, they gave a bunch of stuff to one of my brothers, including this full set of dishes (two sizes of plates, two sizes of bowls, cups and saucers, coffee mugs, serving bowls, a platter, gravy boat, soup tureen, teapot, creamer, sugar dish, butter dish, pickle and olive dish, etc) - eight place settings (I think).

Being the hardcore hillbilly that he is, and knowing I think I was swapped at birth and taken from my true English family and handed over to…well, whatever, he offered them up to me…for free (I emphasize that, because normally, he never passes an opportunity to make a buck)! I snapped those right up.

My belief is, after doing a little research, is these were either bought mailorder from a place like Fingerhut or Lilian Vernon, or she bought these piece by piece through a supermarket promotion (a different piece offered each week at a “special” price as an enticement to get shoppers in the store).

Either way, I nabbed them up, even though we really had no place to store them, and I use them for afternoon tea a lot.
Churchill Willow pattern was for while everywhere.
You could buy it in the supermarket, in department stores, catering suppliers, basically anyone who sold crockery would sell it.
It then abruptly fell out of fashion but recently came back in!

Your Königsberger Klopse are looking just perfect. Haven't seen a chef serving them without the parsley as well and your old school string beans salad is the cherry on tip
Thanks! It’s good to hear from an expert!

This is a rare case where I gave the basic thumbs-up in the challenge thread, but changed it to a LOVE emoji once I read the recipe. It's not pretty to look at, but I don't make food for the looks. I really like how the acidity balances the bitter/salty character of the capers.

Back
Top Bottom