Keep it Simple

Chief Longwind

Über Member
Local time
1:28 AM
Saut Sainte Marie, Siberia, I mean Michigan
I have been experimenting with flavors, i.e. herbs, spices, flavor combinations, etc. for so long that I almost forgot how to make it simple. A few months back, I'd prepared a steelhead fillet by simply placing the frozen fillet into hot oil, and deep frying for ten minutes, and that steelhead was probably the best stellhead I'd ever made. Teh skin was crispy like a potato chip, and the meat was succulent, juicy, and full of the trout flavor that I love. If you don't know, steelhead is a rainbow trout that has traveled to, and lived in the ocean, and returned back to freshwater.

Lately, I've been trying more foods, lightly seasoned, or mixed with other ingredients that don't overwhelm, but enhance the natural flavor of the target food. touch of honey and butter will turn steamed carrots into something everyone loves, as long as the carrots are just starting to soften. The rich carrot flavor is not lost because only a little honey is mixed with the butter. The three flavors each make the other flavors better.

Tonight I was in the mood for black-eyed peas. I haven't eaten them in some time. So, I had already boned a pork sirloin roast that will go on the grill tommorow. Tonight, the bone was used to add subtle flavor to the black-eyed peas. A pound of the lugmes went into the pressure cooker, with the bones. Just a half tsp. of Kosher salt was added to the pot, along with 8 cups of water. The lid was placed on the pot, and all was brought up to pressure. I cooked athe black-eyed peas and boprk bones for thirty minutes. I released the pressure and opened the pot. The beanse werre perfectly done, and the remaining meat simple fell from the bones. I tasted the broth and knew that more flavor was sneeded. 1 tbs. Koher salt, along with one coarsely chopped yellow onion, and 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced. Everything went back intno the pot, the lid placed back on, and cooked under pressure for ten more minutes.

After the pot was again depressurized, and the lid was again released, I filled my large bowl. I let it cool just a bit and began eating. The full flavor of the black-eyed peas was there, with a hint of sweetness for the carrot and onion. There was just enough salt to enhance the dish, and flavor the por. And there was just enough pork to add flavor to the whole dish. I ate two bowlfulls.

I am making the case that many of us need to relearn how good foods taste all lby themselves, without a bunch of added flavors. I invite you to share your favorite, simple, dishes that showcase the flavor of the main ingredient.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Nice post, Chief. I like where you are going with this discussion.

We were just discussing this with Yorky and Margi, about steak purism and marinades.

While there's a time to every purpose, simplicity seems to be germane to the subject at hand.

How best to prepare something simply in its glory, or does it need help. Simple is most often the way to go. Much as is in the ethos of Italian and Greek cooking.

When I see posts that say "I added this spice blend to the veggie, this spice blend to the meat...oh, and I sprinkled this spice blend over my mashed potatoes" my first thought is "but what did the FOOD taste like?" Come on, mashed potatoes with lots of cream and butter? Why mess with that?

I made up a really simply soup yesterday almost the same way. roasted pumpkin (with skin on), carrots, onion, red lentils.... oil roasted the cumin and coriander seeds (husband's request), sautéed the onion and carrots, added the veg stock, added the red lentils and roasted pumpkin, simmered for a while, cooled and then that evening just pureed, reheated and served with bread. OK it needed a touch of salt and pepper to taste, but that was it. I often do a very similar red lentil, carrot and onion soup with just stock that I have for lunch, simmer and puree. Or with any other pulse or bean I fancy. Sometimes with carrot, sometimes without... but often minus the herbs and spices that I serve at night.

Tonights evening dessert - a treat, is a very simply recipe. Sweet shortcrust pastry, lemons (sliced), sugar and eggs. That's it pretty much.

I have been experimenting with flavors, i.e. herbs, spices, flavor combinations, etc. for so long that I almost forgot how to make it simple. A few months back, I'd prepared a steelhead fillet by simply placing the frozen fillet into hot oil, and deep frying for ten minutes, and that steelhead was probably the best stellhead I'd ever made. Teh skin was crispy like a potato chip, and the meat was succulent, juicy, and full of the trout flavor that I love. If you don't know, steelhead is a rainbow trout that has traveled to, and lived in the ocean, and returned back to freshwater.

Lately, I've been trying more foods, lightly seasoned, or mixed with other ingredients that don't overwhelm, but enhance the natural flavor of the target food. touch of honey and butter will turn steamed carrots into something everyone loves, as long as the carrots are just starting to soften. The rich carrot flavor is not lost because only a little honey is mixed with the butter. The three flavors each make the other flavors better.

Tonight I was in the mood for black-eyed peas. I haven't eaten them in some time. So, I had already boned a pork sirloin roast that will go on the grill tommorow. Tonight, the bone was used to add subtle flavor to the black-eyed peas. A pound of the lugmes went into the pressure cooker, with the bones. Just a half tsp. of Kosher salt was added to the pot, along with 8 cups of water. The lid was placed on the pot, and all was brought up to pressure. I cooked athe black-eyed peas and boprk bones for thirty minutes. I released the pressure and opened the pot. The beanse werre perfectly done, and the remaining meat simple fell from the bones. I tasted the broth and knew that more flavor was sneeded. 1 tbs. Koher salt, along with one coarsely chopped yellow onion, and 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced. Everything went back intno the pot, the lid placed back on, and cooked under pressure for ten more minutes.

After the pot was again depressurized, and the lid was again released, I filled my large bowl. I let it cool just a bit and began eating. The full flavor of the black-eyed peas was there, with a hint of sweetness for the carrot and onion. There was just enough salt to enhance the dish, and flavor the por. And there was just enough pork to add flavor to the whole dish. I ate two bowlfulls.

I am making the case that many of us need to relearn how good foods taste all lby themselves, without a bunch of added flavors. I invite you to share your favorite, simple, dishes that showcase the flavor of the main ingredient.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

@Chief Longwind,

Definitely a wonderfully traditional bean dish. Actually quite Mediterranean ..

I like to prepare my shellfish very simply so not to distract from the delectable exquisiteness of fresh shellfish.

Have a wonderful day.

Thank you for posting.

Being able to taste the original flavour of the food is the main reason why I don't eat much in the way of curries. Fish, in particular, is easily overpowered.

I even dislike salt on hand cooked crisps since this interferes (slightly but noticeably) with the potato flavour...hard to get unsalted hand cooked crisps - my fav snack though if I can get it! (I daren't make my own, much as I'd like to, else I wouldn't be able to get through doors!)

I very rarely use any seasonings at all, just letting the tastes of the different items come through, but if I do use something it will nearly always be black pepper. I do like brown sauce on fried eggs though or mustard on sausages and steak! And I do love a curry, but then there are curries and there are curries......:D

Back
Top Bottom