Kids in the Kitchen - what can they do?

I went back to college when I was in my early 40's. In order for me to be able to study, go to school, eat, and sleep I knew I would have to teach my son how to help his Dad in the kitchen because all I wouldn't be able to. He was very young at the time and learned how to prepare and cook or bake dozens of different recipes. He really enjoyed it and could cook up a storm. I thought it was also good for him as he got older and went out on his own or got married, he wouldn't have to depend on someone else to provide meals for him.

I also taught him to do laundry and iron. He didn't like that so much.

When I was growing up, my grandmother lived with us. She and my Mom prepared all the meals -- breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack at night before bedtime. I was not permitted in the kitchen. It was strictly off limits to me. So, when I got out on my own, I barely knew how to boil water. Fortunately, I met someone who taught me all there was to know about cooking and baking. His specialty was chicken and chicken soup!

We have written a blog post about this a while back. We do let them do nearly everything with supervision.
They just love to be responsible even if the job seems nothing to us, like washing veggies, kids will take pride in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom