kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
1:37 PM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
[Mod.edit: a few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

My sister and I had King Ranch Chicken tonight. Good comfort food. I'm not sure if I posted a recipe for that. Tasty has it in one of the church cookbooks I sent him, I think.

CD
Dawg, is this a good recipe for King Ranch Chicken ya think?
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
I think this is another casserole-type of dish I'd like to try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dawg, is this a good recipe for King Ranch Chicken ya think?
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
I think this is another casserole-type of dish I'd like to try.

That looks good. It looks like it has more ingredients than the one my sister makes. I think my sister's version only has one kind of soup. I'll have to look. You can use tortilla chips instead of tortillas.

It is easy to make, and freezes well. It would be something good to make, portion and freeze for your mom.

CD

That looks good. It looks like it has more ingredients than the one my sister makes. I think my sister's version only has one kind of soup. I'll have to look. You can use tortilla chips instead of tortillas.

It is easy to make, and freezes well. It would be something good to make, portion and freeze for your mom.

CD
If it's from Southern Living, it's bound to be good.

After looking over the recipe, I think I'd sub out the green peppers for orange or yellow (since the red is already represented with the tomatoes). I'm just one of those who doesn't like green bell peppers. I might sub it for jalapenos, too, for a little kick. Also thinking that just cream of chicken or maybe cream of chicken and cream of celery would be good? Somehow the cream of mushroom doesn't sound right to me.

Yeah, people in my family always tried to tell me that bell peppers all taste alike, but I disagree. I like the red, orange, and yellow colored ones best.

Last edited:
If it's from Southern Living, it's bound to be good.

After looking over the recipe, I think I'd sub out the green peppers for orange or yellow (since the red is already represented with the tomatoes). I'm just one of those who doesn't like green bell peppers. I might sub it for jalapenos, too, for a little kick. Also thinking that just cream of chicken or maybe cream of chicken and cream of celery would be good? Somehow the cream of mushroom doesn't sound right to me.

Yeah, people in my family always tried to tell me that bell peppers all taste alike, but I disagree. I like the colored ones best.

Yeah, I am pretty sure my sister just uses one "cream of" soup. Green and red peppers are the same fruit, just different levels of ripeness, and you are right, the different colors taste different. The orange and yellow ones do taste the same, to me.

CD

Yeah, I am pretty sure my sister just uses one "cream of" soup. Green and red peppers are the same fruit, just different levels of ripeness, and you are right, the different colors taste different. The orange and yellow ones do taste the same, to me.

CD
I think varying degrees of sweetness, red sweetest, orange next, yellow next...and green not! Also, I don't know why, but it doesn't bother me if jalapenos change color after being cooked, but green bell peppers look really ugly to me after being cooked. My mom used to do some sort of rice and hamburger with tomato sauce stuffed bell peppers that I hated.

CD
You read my mind caseydog !
I would make it pretty tame for her and no green bells, only red she says.
and JAS_OH1 I too think that cream of celery would be nice, I may even add in more vegetation.

You read my mind caseydog !
I would make it pretty tame for her and no green bells, only red she says.
and JAS_OH1 I too think that cream of celery would be nice, I may even add in more vegetation.
Yeah, I guess in my mind I can't put mushrooms together with SW US Tex-Mex food. Maybe somewhere there is such a thing but not to my recollection!

When I first saw the recipe title, I assumed it would have ranch dressing in it, LOL. Now I can only guess that someone from a place called King's Ranch came up with it.

I need to find some air-tight containers that I can make meals up for Mom that can go from `fridge/freezer to the oven/microwave and not too heavy either. Her hands don't work as they should sometimes, she has pretty good arthritis in both hands. Oh, and not too big, she likes smaller sized meals, she's says I make too much food :thankyou:

I need to find some air-tight containers that I can make meals up for Mom that can go from `fridge/freezer to the oven/microwave and not too heavy either. Her hands don't work as they should sometimes, she has pretty good arthritis in both hands. Oh, and not too big, she likes smaller sized meals, she's says I make too much food :thankyou:
I have small portions of lasagne frozen for just that reason. Quick and convenient.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom