Recipe King Ranch Chicken

caseydog

Local time
6:09 PM
Here is the recipe my sister uses for King Ranch Chicken. It is from a church cookbook from the early 1980s. Recipe by Margaret Wehmeyer

KING RANCH CHICKEN
Ingredients
1 (2-3 lb.) chicken
1 medium onion chopped
1 (8 oz.) pkg. tortila chips
1 1/2c. shredded Cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
3/4 c. chicken broth

Steps
Cook chicken in salted water. Bone and cut into small pieces. Save broth. Place chicken in lightly greased 2 quart casserole. Layer on top of chicken the onion, half of chips, cheese. Top with remaining chips. Combine soups, tomatoes and broth. Blend well and pour over casserole. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

CD

Mod Note: please reference cookbook

Last edited by a moderator:
Not being snotty or sarcastic, but this is a sodium bomb, and aren't you on a low sodium diet? Or are you treating yourself with comfort type food?

I'm sure Craig would love this, but I'd use pieces, brown, then finish off chicken in oven, seasoning with salt, pepper and ground cumin rather than boiling chicken, then just using that small amount of the cooking liquid, substituting commercial stock instead.

Not being snotty or sarcastic, but this is a sodium bomb, and aren't you on a low sodium diet? Or are you treating yourself with comfort type food?

I'm sure Craig would love this, but I'd use pieces, brown, then finish off chicken in oven, seasoning with salt, pepper and ground cumin rather than boiling chicken, then just using that small amount of the cooking liquid, substituting commercial stock instead.

Good point, but keep in mind, this is the recipe straight from the Church Cookbook. We have modified it.

First, unsalted tortilla chips. Also, low sodium cream of mushroom soup. Most of the sodium is in the broth, which is Better Than Bouillon.

Oh, you can cook the chicken anyway you want. For me, that would be some grilled BS chicken thigh meat. It would also work with leftover chicken, or even leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

It is still not health food in any stretch of the imagination, but I have a daily allowance of sodium, and I can eat something on the high side, as long as I balance it with low or no sodium foods during the day.

I recommend this recipe be used as a "base," to modify to individual preferences.

CD

Back
Top Bottom