Leftovers

I've always fed my dogs leftovers..not a lot..but IMHO, better than any commercial dog food ( can you say recalls for dog deaths?)
There are NO regulations on animal feed..sad, but true.
Actually cooked my dog's food, from scratch, for last 20+ years..with human grade/grocery store ingredients.
..Plus the odd speck of vitamins..
I've been to a rendering plant..there's a reason they don't allow cameras..one could film a horror movie very quickly....
The carcasses are initially separated- on different sides of the "warehouse"..but..when going down the chute..diseased/road kill/packer parts all go down the same huge grinder at the same time...esp when boss isn't around..
It IS processed (amazing/disgusting process) and used for animal feed ..and the oil is separated and tankered off/used for cosmetics (Really!)
..My apologies for being graphic..I won't get into the really gross stuff I've seen there..
/end animal feed rant

We buy Orijens, which is $78.00 US for a 25# bag. Many vets recommened it They also get a few handouts now and then. We also make baked treats for them. Yes, there are garbage dog foods like Purina which makes many different "Chows" for many different animals.

Yes, there are garbage dog foods like Purina which makes many different "Chows" for many different animals.

Funny that you should mention "Purina". The postman delivered these free samples a couple of weeks ago. Both our cats turned their noses up at it.

purina cat food s.jpg

Funny that you should mention "Purina". The postman delivered these free samples a couple of weeks ago. Both our cats turned their noses up at it.

View attachment 14526
Just seen this topic - my friend feeds all her cats Fancy Feast (she has over 600 of them in her animal sanctuary). Needless to say they buy it in bulk, although I sometimes gift them some from my US Amazon account.

I cook for my dog, and the cats sometimes, but cats need more taurine in their food than other animals, in the quantity found in shellfish and I cannot cook that or any fish unfortunately. The food I cook is all Grade A food for human consumption - mainly chicken, eggs, beef, and lamb (although greyhounds have an absolute horror of the smell of lamb cooking for some reason) and good quality animal-friendly leftovers, not that I have much in that department, hence cooking especially for them or cooking more than I would just for me. You should never give an animal food that is not fit for human consumption even if you use cuts humans would not normally eat, and most manufactured dog and cat food is full of rubbish (price is no indication). My elderly cat eats teaspoons of food these days, so she does get more canned fish than the mutt or the other two cats plus she has raw meat and chicken as well. I also give all my animals milk - not the supermarket rubbish, but proper milk from the farm. None of them is intolerant to it. Even my daughter, who has lactose intolerance, has found that good old fashioned pasteurised-milk does not affect her either.

These free samples arrived by courier today - no expense spared!

I doubt the cats will go near them so the stray dogs will most likely get them.

fancy feast s.jpg

[Edit: Both cats turned their noses up at one bowl of the "chicken and tuna". The Fuzzy stray dog ate it. My wife's taken the rest to the Fat Lady in the village who has three cats.]

Last edited:
Depends what the leftover is. Beans and rice or chili is actually better the second day. The third day i usually make a nacho salad with it. Leftover pizza is breakfast the next morn...i love cold pizza. Left over pasta is usually good for lunch the next day but any longer it gets gummy. Leftover veggies might make for a stew or get tossed into soup. Left over french fries gets tossed in the garbage.

These free samples arrived by courier today - no expense spared!

I doubt the cats will go near them so the stray dogs will most likely get them.

View attachment 16913

[Edit: Both cats turned their noses up at one bowl of the "chicken and tuna". The Fuzzy stray dog ate it. My wife's taken the rest to the Fat Lady in the village who has three cats.]
One of my friends has 650+ cats in her animal sanctuary, and they are all given a can of Fancy Feast every day (with other, dry food of course). Naturally she buys in bulk, and some is donated by supporters of her sanctuary, but occasionally Purina send her a few pallet loads free of charge, as they do to quite a few of the animal rescues.

There are loads of recipes on the internet using left over French fries (as opposed to just reheating them), but then I never have any leftover.....:laugh:

Are we speaking here of those stick things that McDonald's give away with their soggy mince meat sandwiches?

Are we speaking here of those stick things that McDonald's give away with their soggy mince meat sandwiches?
@morning glory said "French fries" but I always have proper chips. I do get the occasional burger from our local McDonald's drive through but never have their fries. I think we decided in a previous thread some time ago that British McDonald's burgers are better than in some other countries, but we never discussed their fries :laugh:

@morning glory said "French fries" but I always have proper chips. I do get the occasional burger from our local McDonald's drive through but never have their fries. I think we decided in a previous thread some time ago that British McDonald's burgers are better than in some other countries, but we never discussed their fries :laugh:

It's been a long time but if my memory serves me correctly, the "fries" obtainable from the roadside stalls in Belgium were superior to the ones that McDonald's fabricate, although the last two times I had a McDonald's "meal" (1996 and 2010) I binned the fries.

Back
Top Bottom