Recipe Lentil Tacos

blades

Local time
5:01 AM
lentiltacos.jpg

This is my contribution to the Lentil challenge. My wife and I make tacos from time to time and we use a stripe of refried beans on the bottom. So the concept here was to replace the refried pinto beans with lentils. The lentils don't lend themselves to the same process as pinto beans so this recipe is what I did instead. I didn't shop for anything. This recipe results from what I had on hand in the kitchen. If I were shopping I would do a few things differently.

Ingredients
1/2 cup green lentils
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 onion chopped
1/4 bell pepper chopped
1/2 avocado cubed
1 tbsp canned corn
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp salsa verde (I used store bought here)
1 tsp vinegar
Chili pepper or hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste

This list handles the filling that replaces the refried beans. It is enough for 8 tacos.

Instructions
Heat a pot and saute the onion, bell pepper and garlic for a couple of minutes in cooking oil. Add the remaining ingredients except for the avocado, bring to a soft boil and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the lentil mixture to the consistency of - you guessed it - refried beans, add the the avocado cubes, stir and set aside. The rest should be familiar to any experienced cook

Fry corn tortillas to your preference. I just use a small skillet with cooking oil and tongs to shape the taco shells as they cook. There are better ways but I don't have the gear for them. Fill the bottom 1/4 or 1/3 of each taco shell and then add whatever additional ingredients and condiments you prefer on your tacos. I used sliced onion, sliced bell pepper, tomato, sour cream and the other half of the avocado that didn't go into the filling. We served the rest of the canned corn with butter salt and pepper and washed it all down down with a bottle of Modelo Negra.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom