Recipe Linguine Corned Beef Carbonara

blades

Local time
11:37 AM
carbonara.jpg

It is my custom to develop recipes by looking through my fridge and pantry. I have a decent batting average so it is an often used technique. Three evenings ago I made a corned beef and cabbage dinner. Yesterday I used leftovers to make reuben panini. I decided to use the last of it to make a pasta dish for the recipe challenge. My goal was to replace the bacon in classic carbonara with the corned beef. In order to do that I had to add olive oil to replace the bacon fat and balsamic vinegar to add acid and replace the "bite" of the bacon. I didn't have any spaghetti on hand so I settled for the nearest thing I had which was linguine. There was no pecorino in the fridge so I used feta instead. No kidding. The result was a nice pasta carbonara of sorts with a different but equally pleasant flavor. Here goes.

Ingredients

1/2 box dry linguine
2 eggs and one 1 egg yolk
4 oz cooked corned beef (brined brisket) sliced thinly and then cut into thin strips
3 oz. feta cheese crumbled
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp powdered hot pepper of your choice
1 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste
grated parmigiano to top each plate

Instructions

You make this like you would classic carbonara. Put the pasta to boil. In a bowl mix the other ingredients except for the parmigiano. When the pasta is al dente, drain the water and add the mixture from the bowl. Toss, plate and grate parmigiano on top. Hope you like it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom