Liquorice - do you love it or hate it?

I'm indifferent to it. I never buy it. If there were some around I might eat some but it isn't on the shopping list.

I love the stuff. It's an essential herb in Venezuelan and Indian cooking. However, I'm well aware that, to a lot of Northern Hemisphere eaters, it tastes like soap. It is what it is!

First of all, when someone says licourice, I assume they mean black licourice. Other flavors don't count, as far as I'm concerned. The first thing I remember was Good and Plenty:

ff4cb8bf5d88934dc5e2bb6d166211ae.jpg

Those have a candy coating that would taste great when you bit into it. But, as you chewed, you'd get the licourice overtaking the sugar of the coating, and you'd make a face. Sometimes, I'd eat the candy off the outside and spit out the licourice.

As I got older, I'd would think of how licourice was the only sort of sweet thing available for candy a century ago. At the time, it was probably mind-blowing. But over time, there were better options. A lot of them. Well, pretty much any option is usually better than plain licourice.

That all changed when I visited Iceland a few years ago. They had these amazing goodies: black licourice coated in chocolate. I can't recall savoring many candies, but I savored these. There's a real balance between the overly sweet coating and the harshness of the licourice:
bingo_lakkriskulur2.jpg

It's sort of like an overly sweet girl dancing with a bad boy.

CqKB3kFch4h5S5h6bVeveqFNU_EzrONfo6PvI7ZN8&usqp=CAU.jpg

First of all, when someone says licourice, I assume they mean black licourice. Other flavors don't count, as far as I'm concerned. The first thing I remember was Good and Plenty:

View attachment 109280

Those have a candy coating that would taste great when you bit into it. But, as you chewed, you'd get the licourice overtaking the sugar of the coating, and you'd make a face. Sometimes, I'd eat the candy off the outside and spit out the licourice.

As I got older, I'd would think of how licourice was the only sort of sweet thing available for candy a century ago. At the time, it was probably mind-blowing. But over time, there were better options. A lot of them. Well, pretty much any option is usually better than plain licourice.

That all changed when I visited Iceland a few years ago. They had these amazing goodies: black licourice coated in chocolate. I can't recall savoring many candies, but I savored these. There's a real balance between the overly sweet coating and the harshness of the licourice:
View attachment 109281
It's sort of like an overly sweet girl dancing with a bad boy.

View attachment 109282

Good and Plenty looks like what we in the UK (many years ago) might have called liquorice comfits. 'Comfits' is such a good word! Well it seems they are still available:

1705777263069.png

Liquorice Comfits

Good and Plenty looks like what we in the UK (many years ago) might have called liquorice comfits. 'Comfits' is such a good word! Well it seems they are still available:

View attachment 109364

Liquorice Comfits

I know its the same as Good and Plenty, but when I see this, I think. "ooo...pretty colors!" And, I agree that comfit is a wonderful name: it evokes feelings of security and safety. But I can think of other things under that coating that would evoke that feeling better than black licourice.

Back
Top Bottom