Liver - do you love it or hate it?

I just found out yesterday that I'm anemic. I will eat a field of spinach before I touch liver. ;-)
It's best slightly blanched over raw. It's harder for your body to process the nutrients when it's raw. Most leafy greens (the darker the better) are a good source of both calcium and iron, as well as many other nutrients.

I have to admit, I ate some boudin balls in SE Texas (which is basically SW Louisiana and very cajun) that were pretty good. It was boudin sausage and some other stuff rolled, breaded, and deep fried. I am guessing there wasn't much liver in it because I did not know it had liver in it until after I ate them. I would eat those again I think, as long as it came from Judice's in Bridge City, Texas.

Reactions: mjd
I like liver.
but I don't like badly cooked/prepared liver.
I never order liver or lobster in a restaurant - mostly because they screw it up.
fois-gras - in a good joint, yes - but at a gas station kiosk, NO!

methinks most people have been traumatically exposed to really bad prepared liver dishes resulting in the "I hate liver" syndrome.

done right, it's delectable.

I like liver.
but I don't like badly cooked/prepared liver.
I never order liver or lobster in a restaurant - mostly because they screw it up.
fois-gras - in a good joint, yes - but at a gas station kiosk, NO!

methinks most people have been traumatically exposed to really bad prepared liver dishes resulting in the "I hate liver" syndrome.

done right, it's delectable.
Everyone said that my mother's liver and onions was some of the best they had ever eaten. Except me. My brother who is a few years older than I said, "Just smother it with ketchup, it will make it taste good." I tried that. It didn't work. My oldest two siblings actually would ask her to make it for dinner. That used to make me so mad, I was glad when they grew up and moved out of the house.

It's best slightly blanched over raw. It's harder for your body to process the nutrients when it's raw. Most leafy greens (the darker the better) are a good source of both calcium and iron, as well as many other nutrients.

I have to admit, I ate some boudin balls in SE Texas (which is basically SW Louisiana and very cajun) that were pretty good. It was boudin sausage and some other stuff rolled, breaded, and deep fried. I am guessing there wasn't much liver in it because I did not know it had liver in it until after I ate them. I would eat those again I think, as long as it came from Judice's in Bridge City, Texas.

Boudin balls are quite popular!

I just looked this up...it seems that not every recipe uses chicken livers, but some do use maybe 4 parts sausage to 1 part liver. I will definitely have to try making this sometime...they look amazing!
Right, that along with the rice makes the liver more subtle. If it was strong I would have been totally turned off.

It's traditionally pork liver actually, not chicken.
It might be traditionally, but a lot of other recipes do call for chicken livers. I wonder how the Boudin at Judice's is made (SE Texas)? Guessing theirs might be chicken livers, too, since it was so mild. Pork liver sounds yucky.

It might be traditionally, but a lot of other recipes do call for chicken livers. I wonder how the Boudin at Judice's is made (SE Texas)? Guessing theirs might be chicken livers, too, since it was so mild. Pork liver sounds yucky.
I often wonder to myself "Who was the first person to try X food? What were they thinking... 'Oh, organ meat from an animal sounds delicious.'? LOL

I often wonder to myself "Who was the first person to try X food? What were they thinking... 'Oh, organ meat from an animal sounds delicious.'? LOL
What did Jonathan Swift say, something like, "The first man to eat an oyster was very brave."

I always amend that to, "...was very hungry!"

I think it was more along the lines of people using the entire animal and not letting anything go to waste. They made sewing needles out of bone, clothes out of hides, casings for sausage out of intestines, etc. And in the animal kingdom, when an animal makes a fresh kill they often go for the organ meats first, maybe because they are usually higher in water and nutritional content.

Sausage was probably a great way to incorporate organ meats in with the regular meats to make it taste better.

But I have no explanation for Rocky Mountain oysters. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom