Low-Carb Cooking

Old habit do indeed die hard. When my husband and I were cycling around the world, we would get through so much porridge oats, bread and pasta that we could hardly carry enough at times and always made sure we had a spare loaf of bread, a spare packet of spaghetti (took up less space than pasta and we got used to breaking it up prior to cooking up to made it easier to eat with a spork) and a packet of tortilla wraps (long life and great emergency food for when we had not been able to get bread).
I still find it hard to cut back on the amount of carbs we eat when he is around. Our homemade bread is around 250-275 calories per 100g and 100g is not very much!

I thought you were just being humorous when you said "went off to try to cycle around the world"...now I see it goes to a blog. What an adventure!

You need a spiralizer! It turns vegetables into noodles. Zucchini works really well and you can get a boatload of them if you grow a few plants in the summer. You do not even need to cook it, just pour warm topping on it and the noodles warm through. Yellow squash works too. Or you can use them to make chilled 'pasta' salad.

Instead of trying to replace carbs with low carb substitutions, I have just learned to eat differently. Stop thinking that you need meals with meat, carbs, bread, and veggies. I eat a protein with good fat and lots of veggies at meals. The corn in corn tortillas is nixtamalized which reduces the carbs and increases the protein so they can be a good option. Sliced, roasted eggplant can also be used for individual pizzas.

Back
Top Bottom