Lower sugar?

Local time
1:53 PM
Do you find natural ways to sweeten lower carb/diabetic recipes or do you have a sweetner of choice that you feel is better then others? I know sweetners are very personal in peoples choices but I like to hear what people prefer or if they forgo any at all and try to make meals and recipes as natural as possible.

I personally am a sugar holic and a border line diabetic. I crave sugar all the time! I have found only one kind of sweetener that tastes just like sugar but not as bad. Its the blue box of sugar packets from Save A Lot.

I cook and bake with this sugar quite a bit. My husband or kids don't know the difference and have eaten everything I've fixed with it. Its worth looking into if you've not found a sweetener you've liked yet.

My step father is diabetic and after years and years of using artifical sweeteners had finally realised how bad they are for you and gone back to using normal sugar and just limiting how much of it he had in a day.

It is surprisingly easy to simply add less sugar to a cake batter or biscuits etc and it not have a noticeable effect on the end result. I do it all the time with both sugar and salt.

My dad is diabetic and is careful with his sugar levels. He has the occasional sweet treat, but doesn't use artificial sweeteners. These days there are more products like baked beans and peanut butter without added sugar and salt which is aimed at diabetics and people controlling their sugar and salt intakes.

He doesn't like diabetic chocolate or sweets either as they taste too artificial. He's learned to live with it and to only have a small amount of sugar.

My husband is a diabetic and for our baking needs we just use Splenda although we have been researching alternatives. I am trying to get pregnant again and I am very wary of artificial sweeteners. I am thinking about trying the Agave syrup in place of the Splenda.

So am I.
But if I wait too long to eat, I start going into a hypoglycemic attack, and it is not good at all!!
My blood glucose level sometimes gets too low, I start getting very hot, sweating profusely, start trembling and getting weak!!!
That is when I have to eat or drink something sweat right away to bring the glucose level back up to normal.
If not, then I could go into a coma & possibly die!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

So am I.
But if I wait too long to eat, I start going into a hypoglycemic attack, and it is not good at all!!
My blood glucose level sometimes gets too low, I start getting very hot, sweating profusely, start trembling and getting weak!!!
That is when I have to eat or drink something sweat right away to bring the glucose level back up to normal.
If not, then I could go into a coma & possibly die!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
I can also suffer from hypoglycemic attacks but I am not diabetic. It is one of the symptoms of adrenal insufficiency or AI as it can be referred to. I don't produce enough cortisol in my adrenal glands which means, well all sorts of things but basically my body does not produce enough natural steroids to stay alive. Sadly the hypoglycemic attacks give me the same problems but with the added complication of if I don't get given hydrocortisone I too will die, in addition to being glucose and iv liquid.

My husband is getting quite good at picking up on the first signs because I start to hesitate and get confused as well, usually before the shakes and weakness starts. However we have to be very careful that it is not mistaken for diabetes because of the additional need for me to be administered steroids as well!

Sometimes I really envy those with really good health, but also know that they don't know how lucky they are and I know it have to make the most of what I have got whilst they don't! I guess on a strange way that makes me luckier because I can choose to do so much more with my life than they have.

My father is a diabetic and he had a very strict diet when it comes to eating carbohydrates and sweet foods to have a balance sugar level. It is very frustrating if you will have a diabetes. That is why all of us while still in the state of good health must know the right consumption when it comes to sugary foods. Eating in moderation at the right time is always the key to good health.

After wAtching the programme in the UK by Jamie Oliver about sugar consumption I never realised how vast the diabetic problem is in the UK , and the strain on the health service
7 teaspoons a day of sugar is the higher limit and it's hard to keep to that ! With the foods they examined

Back
Top Bottom