Making pickles

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
3:20 PM
My fiance grandmother passed away recently and she was known for her homemade pickles. I would like to carry on the tradition for him as much as possible, but I have never canned anything before. Does anyone have any tips or pointers for me?

Do you have her recipe? If so just follow the instructions carefully. With canning it is very important that you have all your jars perfectly clean and that you inspect the rim of each jar. Even a tiny nick you might not notice easily will prevent the jar from being able to seal.

Pickling is not difficult. My father, who probably never cooked a meal in his life, used to make pickled red cabbage as he had been shown by his mother.

Home make pickles definitely taste better than any bought from a store.

The problem is that she never wrote any of her recipes down, they were all in her head. I am going to have to do this by trial and error and try to mimic the taste the best I can. He will probably enjoy them in the long run because I will have tried my hardest to make them and I am sure he will appreciate the time and effort. Thank you for the tip on making sure there are no imperfections in the rims of the jars, I will take note of this.

Thread resurrection! Nothing wrong with trial and error when making pickles or other preserves, so long as you adhere to the basic principle of using enough natural preservative, whether it be vinegar, sugar, salt or a combination of these to avoid spoilage. At the risk of giving away the identity of my alter ego, here's a "recipe" (quotation marks used because I rarely stick rigidly to recipes unless baking) that I posted long ago in another place. This one uses just salt and lime juice to keep it sound.

Most commercial lime pickles seem to be swimming in oil. However, I've been making an oil-free one for years, and it's delicious! Shameless adaptation of a Madhur Jaffrey recipe. As with all preserves, it's best to wait until there's a cheap glut of your main ingredient, so when you happen on a source of cheap limes, buy as many as you think you can deal with - this pickle improves with age and has been known to last up to ten years (when used sparingly - it tends not to last more than two in this household, and that's from a pretty big batch!). Here goes:

Apart from the limes, you'll need suitable jars for the pickle - avoid using metal lids if possible; Le Parfait or similar with glass lids and rubber seals are good. Other ingredients: fresh ginger, red or green chillies, bay leaves, salt, lime juice (best from fresh limes, but OK from a bottle). I won't specify precise quantities - that's up to your taste.

Rinse the limes in boiling water. This should remove any wax if present, and kills off any nasties. Cut the limes into eighths, and place a layer of them in the jar. Add a layer of julienne strips of chillies, ginger and bay leaves, then about a level tablespoon of salt, then repeat until you've filled the jar, pressing down the contents if necessary. The amount of salt used may seem excessive, but trust me, it mellows.

Top up the jar with lime juice to cover the other contents, and put the lid on firmly. Keep in a warm place for a fortnight or so, shaking the jar every couple of days, then put into your store cupboard. Job's a good'un. You can start tucking in about a month later, but it really does improve with keeping; if you run out of it within a year, just remember to make at least twice the quantity next time. No need to refrigerate after opening; it keeps OK in a cool larder for months after opening.

I've made variants of this recipe by adding a mixture of ground cardamoms/pepper/coriander/cumin/cloves/cinnamon - effectively a garam masala, but always prefer the basic recipe.

Jalapeño or other peppers would probably be good mixed in so that you can have pickles with some bite to them. I really want to make some for my OH someday and surprise him. He can eat an entire jar of homemade pickles in one sitting...and gave horrible breath for hours:laugh:

Thread resurrection! Nothing wrong with trial and error when making pickles or other preserves, so long as you adhere to the basic principle of using enough natural preservative, whether it be vinegar, sugar, salt or a combination of these to avoid spoilage. At the risk of giving away the identity of my alter ego, here's a "recipe" (quotation marks used because I rarely stick rigidly to recipes unless baking) that I posted long ago in another place. This one uses just salt and lime juice to keep it sound.

Most commercial lime pickles seem to be swimming in oil. However, I've been making an oil-free one for years, and it's delicious! Shameless adaptation of a Madhur Jaffrey recipe. As with all preserves, it's best to wait until there's a cheap glut of your main ingredient, so when you happen on a source of cheap limes, buy as many as you think you can deal with - this pickle improves with age and has been known to last up to ten years (when used sparingly - it tends not to last more than two in this household, and that's from a pretty big batch!). Here goes:

Apart from the limes, you'll need suitable jars for the pickle - avoid using metal lids if possible; Le Parfait or similar with glass lids and rubber seals are good. Other ingredients: fresh ginger, red or green chillies, bay leaves, salt, lime juice (best from fresh limes, but OK from a bottle). I won't specify precise quantities - that's up to your taste.

Rinse the limes in boiling water. This should remove any wax if present, and kills off any nasties. Cut the limes into eighths, and place a layer of them in the jar. Add a layer of julienne strips of chillies, ginger and bay leaves, then about a level tablespoon of salt, then repeat until you've filled the jar, pressing down the contents if necessary. The amount of salt used may seem excessive, but trust me, it mellows.

Top up the jar with lime juice to cover the other contents, and put the lid on firmly. Keep in a warm place for a fortnight or so, shaking the jar every couple of days, then put into your store cupboard. Job's a good'un. You can start tucking in about a month later, but it really does improve with keeping; if you run out of it within a year, just remember to make at least twice the quantity next time. No need to refrigerate after opening; it keeps OK in a cool larder for months after opening.

I've made variants of this recipe by adding a mixture of ground cardamoms/pepper/coriander/cumin/cloves/cinnamon - effectively a garam masala, but always prefer the basic recipe.
Its an interesting recipe. Seems close to preserved lemons http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/preserved_lemons
I make preserved lemons from time to time but I also LOVE lime pickle. I agree that the commercial ones are very oily. I'm not sure that our American friends would understand this as (I assume?) we are talking about Indian pickles and I don't think they are prevalent in the States. I'll definitely try your recipe!

But what is all this about you having a secret alter ego? :eek: :D

Experiment with recipes ,they are often different techniques,pre soak or un cooked we do a few different types a mixture of fruit and savoury based pickles
Also pickle vegetables ,red cabbage ,white cabbage,onions,beetroot we even do eggs

Experiment with recipes ,they are often different techniques,pre soak or un cooked we do a few different types a mixture of fruit and savoury based pickles
Also pickle vegetables ,red cabbage ,white cabbage,onions,beetroot we even do eggs
Pickled eggs! A while since I did them. I love them. Many people don't. Have you ever done beetroot pickled eggs? I came across them recently. They look so pretty!

43e9f4e6e92b8a548dae678fff5bee0b.jpg

I saw this picture on the pink food Google,
Oh my eyes!.
We often get bantam eggs thy can't be sold for their size and we pickle them
That's how I came across it too! (on pink food google). You will no doubt win my forthcoming pink quiz hands down. If you can bear to look at it, that is...

Supplies of pickled onions were running low in the Veed household. Luckily, it's the time of year when small onions appear in UK shops - I noticed the last batch was made on 21st October 2014. There's a small greengrocers less than half a mile away which had some at 95p/kilo, which seems reasonable; banana shallots were the same price, so I bought some of each, including some larger shallots for general cooking duties. Last night I peeled the onions and smaller shallots, and left them overnight in a strong brine solution - this brings out some of the moisture from the onions/shallots and helps to keep them crisp. This morning I prepared some spiced vinegar. About a heaped teaspoon each of pimento berries (aka allspice) and coriander seed, both roughly crushed in a mortar, lightly toasted in a small saucepan with a heaped teaspoon of yellow mustard seeds, then added about 6 cloves and 2 star anise, a 568ml* bottle of malt vinegar, a heaped teaspoon of demerara sugar, brought to the boil, simmered for 5 minutes and allowed to cool. Drained the onions/shallots, packed the onions into a 1 litre Kilner jar and the shallots into a recycled peanut butter jar, and topped up both with the vinegar. I strained the vinegar and discarded the spices, but there's no real need to do this; spices left in the jar look good and probably continue to add flavour!

* for some reason, vinegar continues to be sold in multiples of an imperial pint, unlike bottled beer!:mad:
DSCN0806.JPG

Back
Top Bottom