Making up new Salad Ideas

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
1:12 PM
Do you like to experiment with different ingredients to come up with new ideas for salads? I do. I often combine new things to taste test. I recently learned that onion and cucumber drizzled with raspberry vinaigrette is wonderfully refreshing. Sometimes, I just mix and match whichever fresh vegetables I happen to have on hand and see what happens.

Reactions: L_B
Our most common dressing for salad here is the vinegar dressing that is just vinegar with salt and sugar and black pepper. Any salad vegetable can be dipped in that mixture like lettuce and cucumber. Once we had made a broccoli salad with that dressing but it did not make good with the guests because the broccoli is tough to the bite. Another failed salad is the white onion and green tomatoes that tasted good to me but the guests didn't like it. So I had stopped experimenting with salads and I am sticking with the traditional ones.

When I am making a salad I usually just toss in whatever I have on hand. Most things taste good in a salad. I also use any leftover meat that I may have. I like dried cranberries and sesame seeds in the salad also, Another thing that adds a nice flavor is fresh berries. I like the vinegar and oil based dressings but I also like honey mustard dressing.

Salads are easy to make since there are so many different ideas we can come up with when it comes to adding things to a salad. I like to add onion rings, grapes, raisins, coloured bell peppers, and sweet corn to my salad. The basic ingredients would be tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce. I am not very fond of dressings though, but if I am doing a salad for guests, or doing one to take out to a luncheon, I would consider using a dressing. It is sometimes best to leave off the dressing though, and just have it to hand so that anyone who likes to have dressing on their salad, can add it to theirs, and those who do not like the dressing, would just use the salad as it is.

I do this all the time. It's my modus operandi so to speak. That's perhaps why baking was such concern for me as they always say baking is a science and you have to follow the recipe. In recent times I have even challenged that with some success.

In the summertime when I eat a lot of salads I will experiment with different vegetables added to salads to give it a different taste and texture. I make a lot of pasta salads for meals in the summer and will add various proteins and vegetables to give the salad a whole new connotation. I have been praised for my salads. I say the more the merry in terms of cut ups meats, fish, veggies, proteins in salads.

I tend to disagree with the anything goes approach. In my experience, a salad can end up looking like something you would put on the compost heap if you aren't careful. And if you use too many ingredients then they vie each other for flavour or end up as a generally confused taste. A salad bowl shouldn't be a repository for all your leftovers! I reckon the best and most elegant salads keep it simple: one to three main ingredients with a good salad dressing.

I'd love to try new dressings and actual toppings. Avocado or something else. I always do the same old regular salad.

I tend to disagree with the anything goes approach. In my experience, a salad can end up looking like something you would put on the compost heap if you aren't careful. And if you use too many ingredients then they vie each other for flavour or end up as a generally confused taste. A salad bowl shouldn't be a repository for all your leftovers! I reckon the best and most elegant salads keep it simple: one to three main ingredients with a good salad dressing.

Well, I'm not quite to the point of anything goes, but I do like to experiment. I see your point that it could get a little over the top if you're not careful, but I don't get too crazy with it.

I also like to make really pretty salads, especially if I'm entertaining. I guess that having worked in some nicer restaurants helped give me a bit of flair for such things. I enjoy preparing attractive presentations (but taste comes first).

I like to mix and match a lot too! but my basic choices are salad greens, a dressing whether vinegar or cream based, any kind of nut then any kind of fruit/colorful vegetable. I made a pomelo salad the other day with vinegar and cucumber noodles-- it has a refreshing taste. :)

I like to mix and match a lot too! but my basic choices are salad greens, a dressing whether vinegar or cream based, any kind of nut then any kind of fruit/colorful vegetable. I made a pomelo salad the other day with vinegar and cucumber noodles-- it has a refreshing taste. :)

When you say "cucumber noodles" are you talking about using a spiralizer to cut your cucumbers? I love those things. I think it would be really cool to have one of those. I could find tons of stuff to do with it. Do you find that you use it often, or does the newness wear off pretty quickly?

When you say "cucumber noodles" are you talking about using a spiralizer to cut your cucumbers? I love those things. I think it would be really cool to have one of those. I could find tons of stuff to do with it. Do you find that you use it often, or does the newness wear off pretty quickly?
I have one and use it sometimes. My advice would be to get the cheap hand operated model. Its very small and won't take up cupboard space! I think its not worth buying an expensive electric one unless you are a caterer. You can pick the manual one up on Amazon very cheaply. It looks like this:
o-ZOODLE-570.jpg

Back
Top Bottom