Mandoline slicers

pattyk

Veteran
Local time
12:53 AM
I just bought one of these that seems a lot safer than some others I looked at. It's called the Chef'n Pull'n Slice Mandoline, and I'm really pleased with the results so far. I've sliced onions, and made julienne carrots with another one of the attachments . What I really like about it is the way it keeps your fingers completely away from the blade - some of the other ones I looked at filled me with fear!!

What do you think? Do you use one, and any good tips for making the most of it?

slicer.jpg

I had one many years ago and to be honest it was quite a scary thing to use. And it took too long to clean the bloomin thing. I felt it was more trouble than it was worth, but that does look better than the one I had.

Is it easy to clean?

image.jpg
Here is my work one , I am the best on it !!
Slice at speed , julienne of veg , gauftette potatoes, game chips and French fries all in seconds
Don't use the guard sometimes I get parallel lines in the palm of my hand

LOL, I've been in the market for one for a while, and there are definitely some that would scrape up your fingers! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about them and some are easier to use than others. In talking with chef's I've learned some of the plastic ones are good so I'll likely go with one of those.

I want one so badly, but honestly I'm terrified of them! LOL Also the ones I've seen have been really out of my budget. pattyk, the one you're using looks so nice and easy to use. Where did you buy it?

LOL, I've been in the market for one for a while, and there are definitely some that would scrape up your fingers! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about them and some are easier to use than others. In talking with chef's I've learned some of the plastic ones are good so I'll likely go with one of those.
im not a big fan of the plastic ones as the blades are kept separate and liable to loss,I've always had the metal one the same as this,and always got on fine with it

the one i have is a bron,but it will last a life time,but the price tag does reflect this,hence why the foot fall does lead to the plastic models vogue do a good one as i say the blades or combs are separate and can be bought for £6 each if they're lost,also a good option are the Japanese style slicer they are great but they do not do the crinkly gaufrette potatoes ..but thats a skill to do them on a bron,you give the potato a quarter turn....
my bron was a gift about 20 years ago and all i have to do is straighten the julienne blades some times

Wow! Some of you have some serious looking ones....They can be a bit scary just to look at, but I appreciate what Berties has said about plastic ones, and I have no doubt a metal one would probably be sturdier in the long run. I think you just need to know how to handle them and be confident, lol.

For those of you asking where I bought mine from, I'm in the UK, and bought mine from Lakeland - great stores and a good website for online ordering too. I think you can also find them in Debenhams. I'm not sure where you'd get them in the US, but Amazon.com would probably be a good place to start.

Welsh Dragon - yes, it's really easy to clean. The blades and attachments all detach from the main bit, and a quick rise and you're ready to go again. There is a little compartment in the gadget where you can store the bits you are not using, so no need to worry about losing any. :)

the one i have is a bron....
my bron was a gift about 20 years ago and all i have to do is straighten the julienne blades some times

As I mentioned above, I have spoken to professional chefs about them, including my father. He says his is too complicated for me to use, and someone else told me he has a plastic one - more modern I am assuming than the ancient one my father owns, and the plastic one works better than some others. I just have to try and figure out which one it was, lol.

im not a big fan of the plastic ones as the blades are kept separate and liable to loss,I've always had the metal one the same as this,and always got on fine with it

I'm going to have to go back and look through my pins and bookmarks to see if it was a particular brand that was recommended. Then again I guess I could just start over and ask the guys which they prefer when I go in to work on the restaurant garden later this morning. I got sidetracked in my quest and forgot about it until seeing this thread.

Wow! Some of you have some serious looking ones....They can be a bit scary just to look at, but I appreciate what Berties has said about plastic ones, and I have no doubt a metal one would probably be sturdier in the long run. I think you just need to know how to handle them and be confident, lol.

For those of you asking where I bought mine from, I'm in the UK, and bought mine from Lakeland - great stores and a good website for online ordering too. I think you can also find them in Debenhams. I'm not sure where you'd get them in the US, but Amazon.com would probably be a good place to start.

Welsh Dragon - yes, it's really easy to clean. The blades and attachments all detach from the main bit, and a quick rise and you're ready to go again. There is a little compartment in the gadget where you can store the bits you are not using, so no need to worry about losing any. :)

The plastic one pictured at the top of the page looks kinda cute!! I like the style of it!
I've used the metal one when I worked for a catering co. And yes, it IS VERY hard to clean with all those nooks, crannies & dirt-catching crevices!!
The all-metal or stainless steel one is supposed to be more durable than the plastic ones, but their astronomical price can drive the cost of those units upwards anywhere from about $150 to just under $200 or over!! That is ridiculously expensive!! :ohmy: :stop:

This is the first one I've seen that doesn't look like a mini guillotine. We have one supposedly around here somewhere but I haven't gotten around to finding or using it because I'm afraid I'll accidentally cut one of my fingers off with it. I'll have to look into one of these. It also looks like it makes the slicing much easier than what the usual mandolin looks like.

I just bought one of these that seems a lot safer than some others I looked at. It's called the Chef'n Pull'n Slice Mandoline, and I'm really pleased with the results so far. I've sliced onions, and made julienne carrots with another one of the attachments . What I really like about it is the way it keeps your fingers completely away from the blade - some of the other ones I looked at filled me with fear!!

What do you think? Do you use one, and any good tips for making the most of it?

View attachment 782

I have that exact same one!! It also dices onions!

Back
Top Bottom