Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday/Carnival/Pancake day

Traditionally, we eat pancakes for shrove tuesday where I come from. But we're not catholics and nobody I know is so that's basically all. Carnaval itself is nothing but a lot of drinking in this part of our country, though south does have lots of people making a true carnival with costumes etc. That's fun to go to once or twice, but as both my husband and I are very introverted we usually prefer to stay home during carnaval. And we also almost never drink, so we're quite boring really lol.
Basically the pancakes thing is the only carnaval related thing we do here.

No, I'm not very much into traditional parties. As Karneval has no tradition in Berlin, my mother took me to the south as a kid and I really liked it. To make Karnevalfood for the party people would be an honour for me.

I think only my baby will have a party, at the nursery. He wanted a parrot costume :laugh:

traditionally we eat some oven baked sweets: chiacchiere (pics from internet) and some tortellini stuffed with a plum jam pesto

1645106848472.png

There isn't any Mardi Gras festival celebrated in the UK - just Shrove Tuesday being called Pancake Day, so some folk cook traditional (UK style) pancakes served with sugar and lemon.
Yeah we call it 'sint pannenkoek ' (saint pancake), same tradition here

We celebrate Carnaval in Venezuela. Mostly, people go to the beach, but you will get a lot of the kids dressing up in fancy dress.
The biggest Carnaval celebrations there are in El Callao, where a lot of the inhabitants have Caribbean ancestry.
What do Venezuelans eat for Carnaval?
They don´t ; they just drink:D:D:D

Same type of pancakes?
Yep, and both the Dutch and the British think they're the only ones eating them that way :laugh: Thicker than crêpes, thinner than American pancakes. I found out about that whilst living in Yorkshire.

This is a pile of my own homemade ones.

Yep, and both the Dutch and the British think they're the only ones eating them that way :laugh: Thicker than crêpes, thinner than American pancakes. I found out about that whilst living in Yorkshire.View attachment 81109
This is a pile of my own homemade ones.

They look really good but thicker than what I would call UK pancakes.

They look really good but thicker than what I would call UK pancakes.
Well they aren't, as far as I've eaten them. My ex MIL made exactly the same batter. Maybe it's different because her roots were Scottish?

Anyway I guess we can only compare recipes to be sure?

I use a ratio of 500 ml of milk to 300 g of flour, and 2 medium eggs.

Last edited:
Here in Portugal Carnival is associated with costumes and drunkenness, it's not a religious day at all. School aged children are dressed in costumes and a lot of schools have a carnival parade where they walk with the children around town.

Young adults can enjoy Carnival parties where they get drunk, and maybe even make out with someone who they'd never be interested in if 1)they weren't wearing a costume; 2)both of you weren't drunk. In Brazil a lot of children are conceived around this time of the year too, leading to an increase in the number of births in November.

Here in Portugal Carnival is associated with costumes and drunkenness, it's not a religious day at all. School aged children are dressed in costumes and a lot of schools have a carnival parade where they walk with the children around town.

Young adults can enjoy Carnival parties where they get drunk, and maybe even make out with someone who they'd never be interested in if 1)they weren't wearing a costume; 2)both of you weren't drunk. In Brazil a lot of children are conceived around this time of the year too, leading to an increase in the number of births in November.
Sounds the same as here really

Back
Top Bottom