Marinade for Beef Steak.

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
1:07 PM
I came across this beef marinade on the net today. I think it may be Korean.

Sliced onion, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, cider vinegar, olive oil, chili powder, lime juice and zest. Too late for this evening's steak but I may try it next time.

It's not necessarily Korean style with the term Chili Powder and the use of olive oil.
That usually refers to a more Mexican/Texican recipe, - something of a Spanish influence

If it said "gochugaru" (Korean chili powder) then yes, Korean marinade.

It's not necessarily Korean style with the term Chili Powder and the use of olive oil.
That usually refers to a more Mexican/Texican recipe, - something of a Spanish influence

If it said "gochugaru" (Korean chili powder) then yes, Korean marinade.

Sorry, the terminology was adapted by me to what I have here. I substituted olive oil for sesame oil and chili powder for chili flakes. Also cider vinegar for red wine vinegar.

It's just something that I'm looking at.

It sounds promising.

A lot of people worldwide say that they are steak purists; that a steak only needs salt and pepper, and a good sear. I'm usually in agreement as far as enjoying steak goes, however, that's with exceptions.

The way I look at it, if you have a particular cut (the entire cow has lots of cuts, some not always that wonderful depending on the beast ) that needs some help, give it a brine, marinade, or rub. No problem.

Concurrently, if you are lucky enough to have access to steaks any time you want, why not play a little?

Or just 'cause, how about the frowned upon A1 or HP steak sauce?

Anyway, please tell us how you ended up. No bull. :D

I'm not a great lover of either of those sauces. Even though it takes a miracle to get it, this is my preferred brown sauce. I wouldn't put it on decent steak though for no other reason than it sounds wrong!

chop-1.jpg

Concurrently, if you are lucky enough to have access to steaks any time you want, why not play a little?

The general Thai beef here is pretty crap but I have a supplier who delivers to me (at the pub every fortnight) a decent imported beef steak. Currently US$ 20.00 to 26.00/kg.

filletcompare.jpg

It sounds promising.

A lot of people worldwide say that they are steak purists; that a steak only needs salt and pepper, and a good sear. I'm usually in agreement as far as enjoying steak goes, however, that's with exceptions.

The way I look at it, if you have a particular cut (the entire cow has lots of cuts, some not always that wonderful depending on the beast ) that needs some help, give it a brine, marinade, or rub. No problem.

Anyway, please tell us how you ended up. No bull. :D

@buckytom,

If the steak cut is top notch, then I would be considered a purist .. Blue rare, and just sea salt or Himalyan Pink Salt, and freshly ground pepper corns and a good sear ..

Though I serve a home made Chimmichuri on the side for those who wish to dip ..

Have a wonderful day.

I came across this beef marinade on the net today. I think it may be Korean.

Sliced onion, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, cider vinegar, olive oil, chili powder, lime juice and zest. Too late for this evening's steak but I may try it next time.
My wife surprised me a couple of weeks ago with a real left field ingredient for beef marinade - kiwi fruit. Combined with red wine, onion, garlic and bay leaves and some undetermined cut of beef (we were on holiday) and left overnight. She kebab'd it and cooked it on a disposable bbq and it was as tender as fillet steak. The kiwi tip had been given to her by a Kiwi vet some years ago, and remained forgotten until recently.

The general Thai beef here is pretty crap but I have a supplier who delivers to me (at the pub every fortnight) a decent imported beef steak. Currently US$ 20.00 to 26.00/kg.

View attachment 7523

Looks like what we call a tri-tip on the left *Cin might be more sure of that), and a top round roast on the right.

Veddy nice!

My wife surprised me a couple of weeks ago with a real left field ingredient for beef marinade - kiwi fruit. Combined with red wine, onion, garlic and bay leaves and some undetermined cut of beef (we were on holiday) and left overnight. She kebab'd it and cooked it on a disposable bbq and it was as tender as fillet steak. The kiwi tip had been given to her by a Kiwi vet some years ago, and remained forgotten until recently.

I wonder if kiwi has the same or similar enzymatic tenderizing qualities as papaya or pineapple?

Looks like what we call a tri-tip on the left *Cin might be more sure of that), and a top round roast on the right.

Veddy nice!

They are both considered "fillet" here (at least by the supplier). The thin end on the left and the thick end (mignon) on the right.

Back
Top Bottom