Meals to Remember?

I can't really claim this as being a meal to remember. In fact, I appear to have been oblivious to it.

A Sunday lunchtime in the 1980s: I arrived at my usual pub, complete with hangover. I greeted my friends (in similar condition), got a pint of bitter and sat down. I felt something in one of my jacket pockets and put a hand in to investigate. I discovered a large piece of naan bread.

"Did I go for a curry last night?" I asked.

One of my friends informed me that we had, indeed, gone for a curry.

I can't really claim this as being a meal to remember. In fact, I appear to have been oblivious to it.

A Sunday lunchtime in the 1980s: I arrived at my usual pub, complete with hangover. I greeted my friends (in similar condition), got a pint of bitter and sat down. I felt something in one of my jacket pockets and put a hand in to investigate. I discovered a large piece of naan bread.

"Did I go for a curry last night?" I asked.

One of my friends informed me that we had, indeed, gone for a curry.
:laugh::laugh:

Soon after I started working (post Uni) there was a family birthday, so Lu and I, my parent, my brothers and sister and the nephews and nieces went to a Chinese restaurant for a meal. We sat at a round table, twelve of us, with a huge lazy susan in the middle. We laughed, joked and told stories whilst we demolished a very tasty banquet meal, the dishes in the centre whizzing back and forth as everything got tasted and the beer flowed.

What made it memorable for me was that I paid. At the age of 22 I had my own money and for the very first time I was able to treat my entire family, where for the previous 21 years I had been the one enjoying the generosity of my elders.
It was the first day of me giving back.

Back
Top Bottom