Med diet book please

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
7:36 AM
Could you suggest, please, a simple/easy/beginners book on the Mediterranean diet?
There are several on Amazon, but it's a bit confusing, despite the reviews; I'd rather have recommendations from this Forum
Oh, and suitable for the UK please

Thanks.

Last edited:
I used to have a good one, but I can't find it. :scratchhead: If I can remember who wrote it, I'll let you know.

CD

What are your goals and what kind of approach suits you? I could give you a basic summary like using EVOO, fresh green ingredients like fennel, leek or radicchio. A variety of high quality proteins like fish, pork, beef and venison.
They like it spicy, Chili, pepper, some "muslim" spices like Cumin, nutmeg, Anis or clove.

They say about Italian food it's 90% good ingredients and 10% technique, the French are more focused on fancy techniques and the Arab countries like sour and spicy.
And all of them share to focus while eating, at best in a group of friends. Don't work while eating or watch TV. They eat moderate dishes and when they can't finish dinner it gets served at the next day as starter or breaky.

It's a very simple diet, they don't like complicate things but it'll cost more money

Could you suggest, please, a simple/easy/beginners book on the Mediterranean diet?
That's actually a far more difficult question than it seems. I've got three books on "Mediterranean Cooking" and I wouldn't honestly recommend any of them. One is too brief; the second is , well, ok, and the third is a huge tome (800 pages) full of recipes, boring as hell and the most appalling organisation I've ever seen.
Mediterranean cuisine covers Spain, France, Morroco, Algeria, Libya, Egypt, Lebanon, Greece, Turkey, Croatia,wow, more than 20 countries in all with 20 different cuisines. To slap them all together and say "Yeah! I've nailed it!", is never going to happen, but there are certain things that stick in my mind (and I've probably omitted another thousand).
Fresh ingredients, and I'd mention tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, aubergines, onions, garlic, cucumbers, anchovies, olives, capers, just to start. Lots of fresh fish, usually prepared very simply. olive oil. Delicious bread, often flatbread. Fresh herbs. Yoghurt. Grilled food.
I looked on Amazon and on a few other websites for "Mediterranean" cookbooks, and one that stood out was "The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook". I like what they offer and it reflects what I've eaten in France, Spain, Italy, Greece - and my local Lebanese and Turkish restaurants! I have NOT read the book completely, but I might just ask Santa to do me a favour...

That's actually a far more difficult question than it seems. I've got three books on "Mediterranean Cooking" and I wouldn't honestly recommend any of them. One is too brief; the second is , well, ok, and the third is a huge tome (800 pages) full of recipes, boring as hell and the most appalling organisation I've ever seen.
Mediterranean cuisine covers Spain, France, Morroco, Algeria, Libya, Egypt, Lebanon, Greece, Turkey, Croatia,wow, more than 20 countries in all with 20 different cuisines. To slap them all together and say "Yeah! I've nailed it!", is never going to happen, but there are certain things that stick in my mind (and I've probably omitted another thousand).
Fresh ingredients, and I'd mention tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, aubergines, onions, garlic, cucumbers, anchovies, olives, capers, just to start. Lots of fresh fish, usually prepared very simply. olive oil. Delicious bread, often flatbread. Fresh herbs. Yoghurt. Grilled food.
I looked on Amazon and on a few other websites for "Mediterranean" cookbooks, and one that stood out was "The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook". I like what they offer and it reflects what I've eaten in France, Spain, Italy, Greece - and my local Lebanese and Turkish restaurants! I have NOT read the book completely, but I might just ask Santa to do me a favour...

I think zuludog is referring to the diet, not the cuisine. It is a way of eating healthier by eating what is typically eaten in Mediterranean countries, with an emphasis on European countries on the Mediterranean, such as Italy.

What I remember from the book I had was an emphasis on fresh fruits and vegetables, and smaller portions of meats.

That last book you mentioned is probably along the right lines.

CD

Back
Top Bottom