Melted Butter or Non-Stick Spray ("Pam")

HappilyHungry

Veteran
Local time
7:17 AM
When it comes to preparing your baking sheet for the baked goods you are about to put into the oven...

What do you prefer to use?

Do you usually apply melted butter or margarine to the surface of your baking sheet, so that the moisture is oozed into your baked goods? Do you find this to be an effective method of preparation?

OR

Do you use a non-stick butter spray, like the popular/reliable "Pam", which prevents the sticking (as the name suggests) of your baked goods to the surface on which you're baking them?

Also, do you think it is better to use a baking sheet/greased paper, or is it better to just butter the surface of your baking pan?

Let me know as we journey toward baking effectively!

baking tin.png

It depends on what I am baking.

I always use paper for cake tins and butter the surface of baking sheets. I only grease the baking sheet lightly to stop things sticking though, I'm not concerned about any extra moisture.

Melted butter all the way. non-stick spray always feels a little weird to me, considering it's only used to bake and fry stuff, which is what butter does already...and butter is also delicious on bread

I never use butter and I don't use a non-stick spray. I always have some nut oil or some natural pressed oil that I can use to smear a baking sheet. I don't know what's in a non-stick spray because I've never bought it, but I assume it's just some sort of processed vegetable oil.

I use the butter wrapper to wipe round the tray or tin, giving a nice thin layer of grease.

That's what my mother used to do. She'd save the wrappers and keep them in the fridge until they were needed.

I'm still old school in many ways,butter and a dust of flour if required and paper as needed,back in the 90s i was given a product to sugar glaze products like lemon tarts and creme brûlées that could stay crisp for a time,then i looked at the ingredients its ok if your into gm products,i like to be able to know what i use

Hmmmm, it's seems that melted butter has won this debate! Lol!

I really love this advice! And melted butter is what I've been using all this time. I think it's the most effective method and, as some of you also put forward, the baking sheet for the baking tin is also helpful, once greased. I'm still not quite used to the idea of using the spray, no matter how convenient it is. In today's world, it's almost as though it's best to stick to "the most natural of ingredients" instead of always "opting for convenience", because at the end of the day, a "shortcut" might not be worth sacrificing some hurt to your health or that of your friends and family!
I'm not so sure if the spray is that much of a health hazard, but I'd rather stick to the natural and avoid the unnecessary risk, rather than be "enlightened" by some new research that tells me I've been doing it the wrong way all along.

Thanks for the help y'all!

I never use artificial sprays or 'butter'. It just bothers me. If anything I use a spray oil of some sort (depending on what I'm making). So, it's usually butter when necessary & olive oil otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom