Mexican oregano

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:35 PM
I recently bought some of this (dried), having never tried it before. Its wonderful and not like Mediterranean oregano. To me, it has a lemony taste with aniseed notes. Does anyone here have it/use it?

All the time. Love it, but then again I love all herbs and spices lol. MG if you research you'll find it's a totally different plant as well. Mexican oregano is a descendant of the lemon verbena plant, if memory serves.

Last edited:
All the time. Love it, but then again I love all herbs and spices lol. MG if you research you'll find it's a totally different plant as well. Mexican oregano is a descendant of the lemon verbena plant, if memory serves.

Yes that's right. I looked it up after I posted. In what sort of dishes do you use it garlichead?

Yes that's right. I looked it up after I posted. In what sort of dishes do you use it garlichead?
I use it frequently and I wouldn't let 'Mexican' influence your thought process which is true for any herb that is thought only for some applications, which isn't really true, just not explored enough. On the line at work I'll have a half 9 pan filled with assorted herbs, mostly for pan sauces for various dishes and it's in that mix. I use it specifically for our hanger steak at the moment which is Mexican inspired. Also add it into one of our house breads. Cheers!

Living in Texas, it is available everywhere, but surprisingly, not as widely used by Texans as you would think, at least non-Hispanic Texans. I always have some in my pantry.

I think people don't expect it to taste any different than "regular" oregano -- just a marketing thing, perhaps.

CD

Back
Top Bottom