1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microwaving Bowls and Plates

Discussion in 'Kitchen Appliances, Cookware, Gadgets & Cookbooks' started by SatNavSaysStraightOn, May 11, 2018.

1. SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn (Site Owner) Staff Member

My hubby always serves food on a hot plate. It can be as little as a round of toast or even a hot milk, and I can guarantee you that the ceramic vessel containing the food/drink will be hot. If the oven has been on, then often he will use the oven to warm the plates, but when it is something cooked in a saucepan, frying pan or even the toaster, then he will literally microwave them for 30 seconds or a minute to warm them up.

Does anyone else do this?

(PS I hate it because I see it as a waste of a natural resource - namely how the electricity was created in the first place.)

Shermie likes this.
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Even cold food? :laugh:

I have kept plates warm in the past when serving up a big roast dinner as it helps keep the food hot whilst you are dishing up. But I haven't done that for ages.

3. The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet Über Member

It sounds like he's concerned that putting hot food on a cold (room temp) plate will cool down the food faster than he wants. I haven't heard of preheating the plate separately from the food, but it's not uncommon to bake a plate with food on it as part of the finishing process. You just need to be careful as to not touch the plate.

4. SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn (Site Owner) Staff Member

He used to put them in hot water instead, but since moving to Australia he has started microwaving them.
    Lol. But it does feel like that. Mind you the fridge was warmer than outside for most of yesterday. It never got above 4C all day!

morning glory likes this.