Mixing brands of tomatoes

Many of you will not like what I'm about to say so i apologize for that. But no one answered my question. I didn't ask about tomatoes. I didn't ask the difference between puree or paste. I didn't ask for opinions about using puree. I asked about using different brands of puree and whether anyone has had experience with it. So while I thank you for your effort in responding, I would suggest that one pays more attention to what is being asked and stick to that question.

Much appreciated.

Many of you will not like what I'm about to say so i apologize for that. But no one answered my question. I didn't ask about tomatoes. I didn't ask the difference between puree or paste. I didn't ask for opinions about using puree. I asked about using different brands of puree and whether anyone has had experience with it. So while I thank you for your effort in responding, I would suggest that one pays more attention to what is being asked and stick to that question.

Much appreciated.
MypinchofItaly did answer your question. She said she'd mixed tomatoes before with no issue, and The Late Night Gourmet also offered that maybe your experience was due to lower quality tomatoes.

The rest is just the typical chatter indicative of, well, human conversation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Same in the UK. Paste is concentrated purée.

I've never seen paste in sachets here. Its usually in tubes but sometimes tiny cans. I've never used it in a curry as I think it would be too strong. Using it in butter chicken may be an exception though I've never tried it.

My butter chicken is as good as a curry house, everyone says so. I use two sachets. I use one for nachos.

Russ

Much appreciated.

Ooooook

Russ

Much appreciated.

Much appreciated.

We all have paid attention to your question, everyone by putting personal experience that sometime it’s the more useful part.

Many of you will not like what I'm about to say so i apologize for that. But no one answered my question.

Mod.Comment: As often happens in any thread, the subject can wander off topic. Its in the nature of forums like CookingBites, for this to happen, because we are not strictly speaking 'question and answer' sites.

A thread such as this one is a discussion thread and will include chatting around the theme of the original post. The discussion here included trying to define what was meant by purée, which is in any case, relevant to your question. This is a UK run site with an international membership, which means that we often need to clarify what is meant by certain cooking related terms, as there are differences in meanings across our countries.

If subjects wander too far off topic a moderator will move the off-topic posts to a new thread. In this case the discussion stayed around the general topic of different types or brands of processed tomatoes so I didn't feel the need to do this. Also, as has been noted, several members did attempt to address your original question.

Last edited:
BWinCA, to clarify, were these the two products you used? In the UK, these would be called passata (which you couldn't have known). I think that is partly why the topic caused some discussion around definitions.

But no one answered my question. I didn't ask about tomatoes. I didn't ask the difference between puree or paste. I didn't ask for opinions about using puree. I asked about using different brands of puree and whether anyone has had experience with it.
You asked for people's experience using puree, paste and whole tomatoes, not just puree:
What's your experience using different brands in making sauce/gravy with puree, paste, and whole tomatoes?
You asked for people's experiences. They gave them.

But given there was some confusion around exactly what type of tomatoes you were using (you obviously aren't aware that the products/terminology you use are specific to your country and people in other countries aren't familiar with them) it might have been a good idea to come back and clarify exactly what you meant by tomato puree and paste. After all, we can only give advice if we actually understand what is being asked.

BWinCA, to clarify, were these the two products you used? In the UK, these would be called passata (which you couldn't have known). I think that is partly why the topic caused some discussion around definitions.
I think this forum is pretty unique in that we have active members from all different places around the world - which often leads to us discovering that what is normal/available/commonly understood in one country isn't necessarily the case in another. And I think most regular posters understand this and try to take this into account when asking or responding to questions - by giving more background info than they would normally do on a more country-specific forum. Its an aspect of this forum I love, and through it I've learned so much about life and cooking in other countries :okay:

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 44790

View attachment 44791
If those are the two products the OP used, then just going by the pictures on the tins and the descriptions then I'd say that the Cento ones look like passata - which usually makes a good base for a tomato sauce.
The Hunt's one on the other hand looks a lot thicker (the picture shows it mounded up in the bowl) and the colour and texture looks less "fresh" looking - I would say that is the Hunts one looks more like a cross between what I know as tomato puree (the concentrated one) and passata (crushed sieved tomatoes), which is also what I'd expect from the description which does say it "has a texture between tomato paste and crushed tomatoes".

So my guess would be the "horrible" taste came from the Hunt's and as I've already mentioned I would steer clear of tomato puree (UK)/paste (US) as a base for a tomato sauce.

The Hunt's one on the other hand looks a lot thicker (the picture shows it mounded up in the bowl) and the colour and texture looks less "fresh" looking - I would say that is the Hunts one looks more like a cross between what I know as tomato puree (the concentrated one) and passata (crushed sieved tomatoes), which is also what I'd expect from the description which does say it "has a texture between tomato paste and crushed tomatoes".

I think that is true. Its a minefield of confusion really! I think that The Late Night Gourmet mentioned that its the Hunts which might be the issue.

Back
Top Bottom