More Cookery Books.

What intrigued me (you might want to sit down, @caseydog) is that this book is meant to demonstrate the author’s practice (which she teaches at her cooking school) of ditching menu planning and shopping for recipes to that of shopping for what looks good at the moment in the store (mainly meaning fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat), and being able to then turn that into a recipe of your own making. Her examples in the book are just that - certainly they’re to be made, but it’s the concept she’s trying to get across - that and eliminating food waste.

Maybe that's why I found not so interesting as I've been doing that for years really.

Here's my latest purchase 🤩 bought it on sale for 11,5€
IMG_20230817_192741.jpg

General questions for everyone:
  • How often do you consult your cookery books? ]
  • Anyone a cover-to-cover reader or just home in on the recipes that interest you?
  • Do you browse them in your free time opening them at random pages?
  • Do you mark and annotate the recipes? Do you look at them before cooking something from them you made before as a refresher?
  • Have you got way too many?
  • Any duds you never look in now but keep them around anyway?
I prefer books and paper to electronic versions. I find it easier to read site to an issue with my eyes.
I have read some cover to cover, but usually it's just a read a chapter or so. One of my recent purchases I read cover to cover and concluded that I'd happily cook all but 1 recipe and that recipe had bananas in it.
Yes, I do mark the recipes and annotate them because I make changes to suit our tastes and hubby doesn't know unless I mark them up.
No duds, I clear them out as needed.

Yeah, it's getting crazy these days. Every site you go to seems to ask you to accept cookies.

CD

Those links are all about whether or not you want cookies on the sites.

There's a big change coming into place for October 2024 covering UK & Europe but Google is pushing the timescale for having something in place to January 2024

Even here on CB I have had to "write" something to keep the site being presented to anyone with a UK or European IP address.

New Google consent management requirements for serving ads in the EEA and UK (for CMPs) - Google AdSense Help

Recipes I’m never going to make, I either draw a big X through them, or scribble something like “NO G—-AMN WAY!” across them. :laugh:
My usual approach is that if I only use a single recipe from a book, the recipe is copied and the book recycled... I really need to like a cookbook for it to stay on our shelves. And if we've not used it or looked at it in a couple of years, then it goes.

Yes, I’ve already flipped through the whole thing and have made potato chips/crisps from peelings I’d have otherwise tossed, and the salad tonight will be dressed in a spicy honey-apple vinaigrette from the book.

What intrigued me (you might want to sit down, caseydog) is that this book is meant to demonstrate the author’s practice (which she teaches at her cooking school) of ditching menu planning and shopping for recipes to that of shopping for what looks good at the moment in the store (mainly meaning fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat), and being able to then turn that into a recipe of your own making. Her examples in the book are just that - certainly they’re to be made, but it’s the concept she’s trying to get across - that and eliminating food waste.

The text is compelling to read, as she mentions more than one study that says menu planning and shopping toward a specific recipe is usually more wasteful and less efficient than shopping for ingredients and then learning to cook creatively with what you have on hand, even though that’s exactly what menu planning is supposed to address.
That's an interesting take on it, although I think it makes it a book non-suitable for a lot of people.

It's the opposite of some modern cookbooks that are really targeted at the home cook that has a fulltime job and a busy schedule, and that focus on meal planning, and meal prep, and making the most of the ingredients you have at home.

Back
Top Bottom