MorningGlory Status

Sorry so long getting back to update this thread. I am now more mobile and can transfer myself from bed to wheelchair (electric) and zip around from front room to back room (bed is in back room). I am also mobilising on a walking frame and can cook a bit (basic stuff) for myself. I spent more time than I care to remember in bed in that back room with two carers coming four times a day. I couldn't get to the bathroom so I was very dependent on them.

Steve (my partner who has dementia) had to go into respite care. I didn't want that to happen as I feared it might mean he never came back since he would be so confused and out of the routine we had that he wouldn't be able to 'adapt back'. It remains to be seen as he is due back on Monday next. The care home say he is constantly restless and barely sleeps. He has also broken open a window and two doors in a bid to escape I think! Here he was calm and in a routine sleeping most nights. I can only hope he will remember me and slot back into some sort of routine.

Anyway, what I really want to say is a huge thanks to all you lovely members who donated to send me a get well present. I really hadn't expected that and the amount of money was extremely generous! Its taken me a while to decide how to use it as I was almost a vegetable in bed in that (dark) back room for what seemed like ages. However, my carers provided one inspiration. They were almost all from Nigeria. So. I chatted to them about Nigerian food of which I knew next to nothing. The result was that I ordered this book:

1705956737553.png

And then, once I was able to get into the kitchen I treated myself to a new 'retro style' microwave. I'm a great fan of the microwave and its perfect for my cooking anything right now.

1705956960625.png

There is a little money left and that I will spend on some flowers for my front room window boxes, which I can now see every day.

So a big, big thank you to all you lovely members. :love:

Sorry so long getting back to update this thread. I am now more mobile and can transfer myself from bed to wheelchair (electric) and zip around from front room to back room (bed is in back room). I am also mobilising on a walking frame and can cook a bit (basic stuff) for myself. I spent more time than I care to remember in bed in that back room with two carers coming four times a day. I couldn't get to the bathroom so I was very dependent on them.

Steve (my partner who has dementia) had to go into respite care. I didn't want that to happen as I feared it might mean he never came back since he would be so confused and out of the routine we had that he wouldn't be able to 'adapt back'. It remains to be seen as he is due back on Monday next. The care home say he is constantly restless and barely sleeps. He has also broken open a window and two doors in a bid to escape I think! Here he was calm and in a routine sleeping most nights. I can only hope he will remember me and slot back into some sort of routine.

Anyway, what I really want to say is a huge thanks to all you lovely members who donated to send me a get well present. I really hadn't expected that and the amount of money was extremely generous! Its taken me a while to decide how to use it as I was almost a vegetable in bed in that (dark) back room for what seemed like ages. However, my carers provided one inspiration. They were almost all from Nigeria. So. I chatted to them about Nigerian food of which I knew next to nothing. The result was that I ordered this book:

View attachment 109428

And then, once I was able to get into the kitchen I treated myself to a new 'retro style' microwave. I'm a great fan of the microwave and its perfect for my cooking anything right now.

View attachment 109430

There is a little money left and that I will spend on some flowers for my front room window boxes, which I can now see every day.

So a big, big thank you to all you lovely members. :love:
That is a funky looking microwave, is that a 50's or a deco look? I can't decide!

The first home microwave was the Amana RadarRange, around 1976. My dad was an early-adopter of technology, so we had one. A bunch of the neighbors came over to see it, and watch it boil water. :laugh:

1706475129110.png

That thing weighed a good 80 pounds.

CD

Ubiquitous retro I think. Microwaves never looked like that.
I remember the first microwave I ever saw…I mentioned my non-cooking granny - she bought one just about as soon as they came out.

Fake wood grain, and one big dial that actually clicked when you turned it. That was it. No buttons, no power levels, nothing. Turn the clicky-knob, off it went.

The first home microwave was the Amana RadarRange, around 1976. My dad was an early-adopter of technology, so we had one. A bunch of the neighbors came over to see it, and watch it boil water. :laugh:

View attachment 109622

That thing weighed a good 80 pounds.

CD
I love products made before they work out exactly how little of a material they can get away with and how cheaply they can make it and that is a fantastic example!

I vaguely remember my first one. It was a Christmas gift from my dad that I requested in 1981 or 1982. That thing was HUGE!

Yeah, the first one I had was around that same time. It was big and heavy. I could barely carry it by myself (very awkward to carry).

CD

Back
Top Bottom