Recipe Mozzarella di Bufala Stuffed Potato Llapingachos

Francesca

Local time
9:15 AM
CBFRANCESCAECUADORIANDISH20140404_133809.jpg
CBFRANCESCAPOTATOCROQUETTE20140404_133956 (1).jpg
Mozzarella di Bufala stuffed potates Llapingachos ( Ecuadorian Stuffed Potato Ovals, similar to a Croquette however, with a different exterior and they are traditionally cheese stuffed with a fresh White ox or cow cheese ) ..

*** There are 2 Photos, one showing the total serving and one showing the Llapingacho singular ..

Here is a traditional Ecuadorian Recipe re-invented.

6 Potatoes
1 shallot
1/4 Cup Spanish Evoo
1 teaspoon cumin ground spice
1 teaspoon Achiote ( a South American chilie pepper ) ground
1 cup mozzarella di bufala or other fresh White cheese with low melting point ( mince cheese and place in mash potato, combining ..
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 / 4 Cup of Un-bleached Flour all purpose ( for dredging the ovals )
A box of wooden popiscle sticks or similar sticks to ensure holding the spheres to eat as a "tapa"
or a Pintxo = food on a stick or skewer ..

1) Peel the potatoes . Place a pot of salted water in a médium size stock pot and bring to médium simmer before placing the sliced potatoes ..

2) Add Evoo to a skillet and sauté the minced shallot ( you can sub Onion of choice )

3) Add the cumin and the achiote to the shallot or onion sautée-ing for approx 4 minutes or until the shallot is tender ..

4) Remove the shallot skillet from the heat ..

5) Drain the tender potatoes that have been boiling and pat dry.

6) Press the potatoes in a Ricer or Mash them until smooth ..

7) Add the seasoned sautéed onions to the potatoes and combine thorougly.

8) Now, take the mashed potatoes and form oval egg shaped "croquette " type forms, about 2 1 /2 inches in length and 1 / 2 inch in thickness. Dredge into a light dust of the flour.

9 ) Heat some Evoo in a heavy skillet ..

10) Sauté the potato ovals in batches for 2 1/2 minutes to 3 minutes at most on each side until Golden with the cheese combined thoroughly inside the potato spheres.

11) Voila .. When you place on some kitchen towelling to drain from the Evoo, and they are a bit cooler to handle, place a popsicle stick inside each of the ovals as in the photo.

The Mani Sauce .. ( Bio Peanut Butter Sauce )

1) 1 /4 Cup Bio Peanut butter at room temperature

2) 1 /2 Cup cream

3) 1 / 2 Cup diced shallot or scallion or onion

4) Salt

5) 1 Teaspoon of Achiote, 1 teaspoon of Cumin and 1 tablsp. of fresh minced parsley or cilantro herb

6) 1 tiny tiny dried Aji chilie pepper or red chilie pepper flakes

Instructions / Method :

Combine the peanut butter with the cream ..

Then, heat the Evoo and add the shallot and the cumin and the achiote and salt .. Sautée until onions are tender ..

Slowly incorpórate the cream and the peanut butter into the onion / shallot mixture

Now, stir clockwise and simmer 6 to 8 minutres ..

Add the parsley or the cilanto and place in bowls as this sauce shall be the bed of the dish ..

Serve these with a refreshing Cava or Prosecco ..

Last edited:
I was attracted to this recipe because of the Achiote. I have some in my store cupboard. But - I may be misreading the instructions - where is the Mozzarella stuffing in the potatoes?

I was attracted to this recipe because of the Achiote. I have some in my store cupboard. But - I may be misreading the instructions - where is the Mozzarella stuffing in the potatoes?

@morning glory,

They are absolutely fabulous. I too, like Achiote.

I found 3 photos. I sent them from my Cell Tablet to my Email.

Now, I have no idea, how to send them to Cooking Bites.

Is it possible I could send the 3 photographs to you and would you be so kind to post them with the récipe above ?

Thank you once again ..

@morning glory

In the instructions, the cheese is combined with the mash potatoes ..

I put the instruction in 2 places now ..

Thanks.

Finally got the 2 photographs up !!

Am I being missing something? - no mention of mozzarella in these instructions... how is the cheese combined with the mash?

Nice presentation , by the way!

1) Peel the potatoes . Place a pot of salted water in a médium size stock pot and bring to médium simmer before placing the sliced potatoes ..

2) Add Evoo to a skillet and sauté the minced shallot ( you can sub Onion of choice )

3) Add the cumin and the achiote to the shallot or onion sautée-ing for approx 4 minutes or until the shallot is tender ..

4) Remove the shallot skillet from the heat ..

5) Drain the tender potatoes that have been boiling and pat dry.

6) Press the potatoes in a Ricer or Mash them until smooth ..

7) Add the seasoned sautéed onions to the potatoes and combine thorougly.

8) Now, take the mashed potatoes and form oval egg shaped "croquette " type forms, about 2 1 /2 inches in length and 1 / 2 inch in thickness. Dredge into a light dust of the flour.

@morning glory

In 2 places I mention what to do with the Cheese.

Ingredients:
1 cup Mozzarella di Bufala ( read what is inside the ( ) ..

And then read instruction number 10 ..

Thank you Dear .. Tired Eyes !!
Have lovely evening.

(10) Sauté the potato ovals in batches for 2 1/2 minutes to 3 minutes at most on each side until Golden with the cheese combined thoroughly inside the potato spheres.

11) Voila .. When you place on some kitchen towelling to drain from the Evoo, and they are a bit cooler to handle, place a popsicle stick inside each of the ovals as in the photo.

I see you have now added these steps. But I still don't quite understand. How does the cheese get combined into the potato? Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions - but I want to try making this recipe. :D In the ingredients list you write: 'mince cheese and place in mash potato, combining ..'

So you mix the grated mozzarella into the mashed potato? Do you mean you stir it in, beat it in?

Last edited:
I see you have now added these steps. But I still don't quite understand. How does the cheese get combined into the potato? Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions - but I want to try making this recipe. :D In the ingredients list you write: 'mince cheese and place in mash potato, combining ..'

So you mix the grated mozzarella into the mashed potato? Do you mean you stir it in, beat it in?
This looks like a computer translation problem.
My guess would be put the cheese in at the same time you put everything else in the potatoes and stir until the cheese melts.

In which case it is not stuffed potato.

@morning glory & @Cinisajoy,

Firstly, here we go again:

The recipe stuffing or filling is made up of: Mashed potatoes, the spices & the shallot or onion minced with very finely minced Mozarella di Bufala or any fresh White Cow Cheese that you select. Drained Ricotta Works very well too .. And is easier to combine with the mashed potato .. Keep the mashed potatoes "thick" not wet ..

Combine thoroughly ..

@morning glory: Yes, grating the cheese would be a wise way to do it .. or shred the slices and mince .. Also, @Cinisajoy: I put the cheese directly into the cooked mash potatoes .. I do not melt the cheese prior .. The Mozarella has an extremely Low Heat Point and it is not necessary to pre heat the Cheese .. Just grate it or shred mince it into the mash potato mix. It shall melt ( see photos) .. It is part of the ingredients used before dredge dusting the flour ..

Then you créate the ovals or if you prefer, any other shape ..

Dredge & dust very lightly, the spheres into the flour and sauté ..

To Serve: Bowl or large white plate: The bed of the dish, in photo is the peanut butter sauce with a bit of leftover potato & cheese from the filling. Place the ovals on top with popsicle sticks and garnish .. Parsley or Cilantro or a few Saffran Threads ..

Have a lovely weekend and thank you both for all your interest.

Last edited:
I said stir until the cheese melts after you put it in the hot mashed potatoes, not melt the cheese first.

@Cinisajoy

Yes it must be stirred to combine with the mashed potatoes however, it does not really melt or you shall be unable to form the ovals where they will not fall apart when sautéed ..

The ovals must be firm. I suggest that you put them in refrigerator for approximately 15 - 20 minutes.

It melts when you sauté fry it in Evoo ..

Back
Top Bottom