12:37 PM
Mushroom and Spinach Tart
sie_19.jpg

Serves 6-8 | Cooking time 30 min

Ingredients
500 g/1.1 lb ready-made puff pastry​
60 g/2.1 oz Parmesan/Parmigiano cheese​
150 g/5.3 oz baby spinach​
25 g/0.9 oz dried mushrooms (I used porcini/Boletus edulis) or ~115 g/4 oz fresh, sautéed mushrooms​
300 g/0.66 lb/10.6 oz/295 ml/1.25 cups crème fraîche/sour cream​
4 (organic) eggs​
1-1.5 tsp salt (to taste)​
1 tsp black pepper​
1 tsp marjoram (or thyme)​
50 g/1.8 oz spring onion (a few leaves/stalks)​
a pinch of mild Gochugaru chil(l)i or chili flakes (optional)​

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven (225°C /435°F/gas mark 7-8, no fan).​
2. Line a large baking tray or oven pan with rolled pastry dough. Turn about 1-1.5 cm/0.4-0.6’’ of the pastry up on the sides.​
3. Rinse the spinach and sprinkle it evenly on top of the dough.​
4. Crumble the dry (or sprinkle the sautéed) mushrooms on top.​
5. Grate the cheese.​
6. Mix the cheese, crème fraîche/sour cream, eggs, salt, pepper and marjoram and pour over the spinach and mushrooms.​
7. Cut the spring onions into long, thin strips and scatter on top.​
8. Finish with a pinch of chili (optional).​
9. Bake in the middle part of the oven for 15-20 minutes until nicely browned.​

In this tart, a part of the crumbled mushrooms soak some liquid and soften and a part stay on top and keep their crunchiness. If you dislike chewing crispy mushrooms, soak the dried mushrooms 5-10 min in hot water and drain before cooking/baking.

sie_a.jpg

sie_13.jpg

Last edited:
Love the last photo! I also love mushroom and spinach tart. There is something soothing about it - in this case perked up by chilli. I'm very interested in the fact you say:
Crumble the dry (or sprinkle the sautéed) mushrooms on top.

Most recipes demand rehydrating dried mushrooms. I do use them blitzed (mushroom dust) but haven't come across this way of using them. Don't they remain tough?. I wouldn't have thought the cooking time was long enough to hydrate them. I did note you mention the crunch on top if using them!

Last edited:
Love the last photo! I also love mushroom and spinach tart. There is something soothing about it - in this case perked up by chilli. I'm very interested in the fact you say:

Most recipes demand rehydrating dried mushrooms. I do use them blitzed (mushroom dust) but haven't come across this way of using them. Don't they remain tough?. I wouldn't have thought the cooking time was long enough to hydrate them. I did note you mention the crunch on top if using them!
Thanks. The dried mushrooms weren't that tough - just partially chewy. The bits absorbed/soaked some of the liquid/moisture of the filling and the vapor/steam rising from beneath. This was the first time I used crumbled desiccated mushrooms in a tart - and in my view it worked well. I've come across blitzed porcinis in e.g. pizzas of a local chain: that's practically the same stuff aka dried mushrooms in a more fine-grained form. I don't rehydrate or grind dehydrated mushrooms if I bake them inside a meatloaf, either. They absorb enough moist from the sour cream+egg -complemented "meat dough". As I wrote in the recipe, you can always rehydrate the mushrooms before baking (or grind them into dust), if you don't favour chewy bits. One option is to place the desiccated mushrooms under the spinach to submerge them in the filling (= rehydrate better).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom