musicians ?

my oldest and best friend died last year so we just sort of dissolved
Apart from everything else, very sorry to hear that. A good band, the members are like siblings, or almost like spouses, and it hits especially hard, because you get to a part where they sang this harmony line or played that little fill, and after so many years, it’s just…gone, or there but different, and it bums you out.

The last working band I was in, the bass player/high harmony singer died after a devastating brain disease took him bit by bit, all of 47, and the self-appointed leader died of liver cancer - we used to have the most spectacular arguments, and that’s what I remember as much as anything about know him…the absolute ridiculousness of some of the things we argued about (in the middle of a local newspaper interview, we started arguing about which of us was the Lennon in our band and which of us was the McCartney - neither of us wanted to be the McCartney :laugh: ).

That’s half the band gone, and I used to imagine having reunions every so often, so we could argue about other stupid stuff, but no more.

Since we were talking about bagpipes and alternate tunings, here’s something I did a couple of Christmases ago:

View: https://youtu.be/iwmdWMZ-jkU?si=WEwIyVmfeGZI_xTr

Someone on a music forum mentioned trying to work out a “bagpipe sound” for guitar, so I played around with the tuning a bit, and worked up a version of a Scottish tune that’s popular here in certain circles.

tasty : that was pretty good !!! it did indeed have that bagpipe feel to it , i had never thought about trying trying something like that before

have any of you tried to teach your wife how to play an instrument ? if you haven't but thought about it , a word to the wise............ DON"T

tasty : that was pretty good !!! it did indeed have that bagpipe feel to it , i had never thought about trying trying something like that before
Thanks!

have any of you tried to teach your wife how to play an instrument ?
No, and she wouldn’t be interested anyway. She doesn’t really care for music much in general.

She did have a couple of years of piano lessons in her youth and before her stroke, she could still get by after knocking off the rust a little, but she lost that, though it didn’t bother her at all.

She does have an excellent singing voice, but it’s very much a “church choir” style - big, open, almost operatic at times, and I jokingly criticized that once when were first married, and she hasn’t sung anything since, and it’s not because she thinks she’s bad, just that I was out of place to criticize her (which I definitely), so “You can forget ever getting to hear me sing again, a-hole!”

Apart from everything else, very sorry to hear that. A good band, the members are like siblings, or almost like spouses, and it hits especially hard, because you get to a part where they sang this harmony line or played that little fill, and after so many years, it’s just…gone, or there but different, and it bums you out.

The last working band I was in, the bass player/high harmony singer died after a devastating brain disease took him bit by bit, all of 47, and the self-appointed leader died of liver cancer - we used to have the most spectacular arguments, and that’s what I remember as much as anything about know him…the absolute ridiculousness of some of the things we argued about (in the middle of a local newspaper interview, we started arguing about which of us was the Lennon in our band and which of us was the McCartney - neither of us wanted to be the McCartney :laugh: ).

That’s half the band gone, and I used to imagine having reunions every so often, so we could argue about other stupid stuff, but no more.
I know the feeling. The AshDads were a unique story. 4 out of 5 of us all grew up together in my home town. We all were gone for decades and somehow all found our way back here for various reasons. The keyboard player used to babysit me. He was a neighbour. The others and I went to high school at the same time and cut our teeth together. So, to find ourselves back here after all these years was cool. We’d spend
more time talking about whatever. And, we didn’t care to do the “bar band top 100” so we just let thing happen from the roots up. It was quite natural and truly rewarding for once.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom