My favorite Japanese fast food place

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
1:31 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
menu1205.jpg

For those that are curious, here's the menu at my favorite chain "fast food" place here in Japan. You'll notice it's a lot healthier looking than your typical burger and fries - you may have also noticed a few dishes with raw egg on them. This place primarily sells gyudon bowls (beef, rice and onion) and some of them are topped with other ingredients such as kimchi if requested - and the top right is Japanese curry.

Hope it's interesting to you!

Some of the stuff looks really good. I wouldn't want the raw egg though. Thanks for posting.
It really is very interesting to see what types of food that other people around the work enjoy.

Some of the stuff looks really good. I wouldn't want the raw egg though. Thanks for posting.
It really is very interesting to see what types of food that other people around the work enjoy.

I steer well clear of the raw egg too! Before living in Japan I always associated raw egg with being dangerous to consume and I guess I've never been able to shake that mentality - but I don't know of anyone here who eats it that has ever been sick!

Everything on that menu looks delicious and definitely more healthy than the average burger place. I'm craving nothing but Pho now. I could live with the raw egg topped over my food. I had a raw duck egg cracked over my ramen at a restaurant before and it was glorious.

I steer well clear of the raw egg too! Before living in Japan I always associated raw egg with being dangerous to consume and I guess I've never been able to shake that mentality - but I don't know of anyone here who eats it that has ever been sick!
I've never had an issues eating raw eggs and never gotten sick from eating them, but I always know the source of the raw eggs I am eating and exactly how fresh they are (not that that controls the salmonella levels if the bird itself is contaminated but).

menu1205.jpg

For those that are curious, here's the menu at my favorite chain "fast food" place here in Japan. You'll notice it's a lot healthier looking than your typical burger and fries - you may have also noticed a few dishes with raw egg on them. This place primarily sells gyudon bowls (beef, rice and onion) and some of them are topped with other ingredients such as kimchi if requested - and the top right is Japanese curry.

Gyudon is my absolute favorite!! The hot steaming rice, yummy beef strips, and a fresh egg on top which is ultimately cooked in the hot rice. Yummm. And this is really cheap too! I could never find Japanese here for that price. I also enjoy tuna, salmon and all other types of sashimi dipped in kikkoman and a little bit of wasabi.

Thanks for sharing. This makes me want to go back to Japan for the food!

Gyudon is my absolute favorite!! The hot steaming rice, yummy beef strips, and a fresh egg on top which is ultimately cooked in the hot rice. Yummm. And this is really cheap too! I could never find Japanese here for that price. I also enjoy tuna, salmon and all other types of sashimi dipped in kikkoman and a little bit of wasabi.

Thanks for sharing. This makes me want to go back to Japan for the food!

I'd never really tried much Japanese food before moving here (sad, I know!) but now I just adore it. So much good stuff. And yes, the prices here are pretty awesome - it's such inexpensive fast food, but it's actually reasonably healthy and good quality too!

I agree with you on all levels here. It's interesting to see what types of food other people eat around the world enjoy and I wouldn't want any of the raw eggs. I have not gotten there yet but I intent to try it with a drink.

Japanese restaurants are mostly expensive here but there are some that are like fastfood style. One is Tokyo-Tokyo which serves cheap dishes that includes sashimi and sushi which ordinary people can afford. But there is one Japanese restaurant here that serves only Don, that is the fried pork Japanese style. One order comes with unlimited rice and garnishings. Yabu is the name of the restaurant and that is our favorite. In fact, my husband would always bring his colleagues there for his birthday treat.

menu1205.jpg

Wow, that looks good if I could read the menu it would be super. I don't know anywhere you can get fast food Japanese here but if you looked hard enough you might be able to find it. I do like a Japanese restaurant near here that has a sushi bar, as well as boxed lunches and dinners. The food is really good and reasonably priced. In the bigger cities like Washington DC and the closer suburbs they have like Pho57's which are the Noodle restarurants. Grocery store chains like Wegman's also has a carry out sushi bar.

Japanese restaurants are mostly expensive here but there are some that are like fastfood style. One is Tokyo-Tokyo which serves cheap dishes that includes sashimi and sushi which ordinary people can afford. But there is one Japanese restaurant here that serves only Don, that is the fried pork Japanese style. One order comes with unlimited rice and garnishings. Yabu is the name of the restaurant and that is our favorite. In fact, my husband would always bring his colleagues there for his birthday treat.

There's 100 yen sushi places here too, where you can get a variety of different types of sushi for just 100yen a plate. It's great quality too compared to what I have had outside Japan.

I love the katsu style fried pork too - it's a nice treat! :)

Yesterday was All Saints Day, a holiday for Catholics like us. Before going to the columbarium to visit our dead relatives, we had lunch at Mr. Kurosawa, a classy Japanese restaurant. My nephew had twice ordered maki because he said it was good. I had sizzling beef with fried rice. Their wagyu beef is so good especially with the garnishings of cole slaw. With the katsu, my niece had that plus gyosa which is the equivalent of the Chinese wanton. It was a good lunch for a good price of more than $100 for the 7 of us.

Thanks for sharing! It all looks very interesting, but I too wish I could understand the menu. I love sushi - I actually picked up a couple rolls for dinner on the way home from work yesterday. I can easily make rice or noodle bowls at home so I don't purchase those when I eat out. I do get things like seaweed or squid salad though. It's a lot healthier than American fast food.

Back
Top Bottom