My wife is making tempeh

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
8:26 PM
Soybeans which my wife intends to incorporate into Tempeh.

Beans s.jpg

Never; although she appears to know what she's doing. She stuck pins in the bags yesterday and left the beans overnight. This morning they've solidified somewhat into "cakes". I'll get a picture later.

The beans appear to be fermenting well. They're in the kitchen where the ambient temperature is currently around 31°C.

Beans fermenting s.jpg

Afternoon of the third day. My wife has actually eaten some and says "It's good".

I don't believe her.

Tempeh 1.jpg

Tempeh 2.jpg

Tempeh 3.jpg

Afternoon of the third day. My wife has actually eaten some and says "It's good".

I don't believe her.

That looks brilliant.

Tempeh is totally different from tofu, so if it is that that is putting you off, don't let it. The fungus is just like a mushroom and you like those. It does have taste and is a good texture as well. It doesn't have to be made with soy beans either. You can make it from any bean or pulse, including black beans and chickpeas.

I wouldn't hesitate to try that one. And homemade tempeh is much better than shop bought stuff as well.

Just fry it up in a little oil. I often airfry mine now, you can steam it out grill it as well. I've even made a meatless meatloaf using it which was excellent.

I love tempeh!
Got the crunch and everything.
I love meat, but will choose (properly prepared) tempeh over meat
That looks brilliant.

Tempeh is totally different from tofu, so if it is that that is putting you off, don't let it. The fungus is just like a mushroom and you like those. It does have taste and is a good texture as well. It doesn't have to be made with soy beans either. You can make it from any bean or pulse, including black beans and chickpeas.

I wouldn't hesitate to try that one. And homemade tempeh is much better than shop bought stuff as well.

Just fry it up in a little oil. I often airfry mine now, you can steam it out grill it as well. I've even made a meatless meatloaf using it which was excellent.

I would really like to try it properly made and prepared. I tried once to make it and it was not good! I don't think its easy to buy a good tempeh here ready-made so I suppose I'll have to try to make it again sometime.

I do think you should try some Yorky.

Do you think your wife would give us her recipe?

Do you think your wife would give us her recipe?

There is no recipe as such (as far as I know). She bought the beans on-line from this site:

1697073340264.jpeg

It arrived in sealed plastic bags which she pricked with needle (many times); then left the bags out in the kitchen for 48 hours. And voila!

There is no recipe as such (as far as I know). She bought the beans on-line from this site:

It arrived in sealed plastic bags which she pricked with needle (many times); then left the bags out in the kitchen for 48 hours. And voila!
That's intriguing. A tempeh kit!

I've not seen those before. When I've made them, you have to boil the soy beans after soaking them. Then once they have cooled to the correct temperature, you add the tempeh starter along with a little vinegar I think it was. Then you bag them, seal it and pack down to the correct height (this bit is critical), prick the bags and leave in a warm location to get started.

Back
Top Bottom