Napa/Chinese cabbage ideas

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
4:00 AM
I bought this Napa/Chinese today. I don’t use this that much, maybe twice in my life, so I thought I’d ask the excellent cooks here their favorite preparations for it:

IMG_5258.jpeg

Let me know what you think!

When I can get hold of one, I love to use it in an Asian-inspired coleslaw, with bok choy and white cabbage. Few spring onions, a few sliced chiles (optional), grated ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, bit of sugar, sesame oil or some neutral vegetable oil.
It also holds up well to a stir fry, especially with shrimp or seafood (which I imagine you don't eat :D :D ) - but stick some funky chicken in there and it'll work just as well. I love the slightly sweet flavour.

When I can get hold of one, I love to use it in an Asian-inspired coleslaw, with bok choy and white cabbage. Few spring onions, a few sliced chiles (optional), grated ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, bit of sugar, sesame oil or some neutral vegetable oil.
It also holds up well to a stir fry, especially with shrimp or seafood (which I imagine you don't eat :D :D ) - but stick some funky chicken in there and it'll work just as well. I love the slightly sweet flavour.

I was about to reply but you more or less wrote what I would have said - except I would use all the ingredients you mentioned for the coleslaw in a stir fry.

My wife likes napa in soup, such as a wonton soup, so that could also be a way to go.

If you can be bothered to make wonton dumplings, you can make a great tasting soup just with some chicken stock, ginger, scallion and the chopped cabbage. Add the dumplings at the end and steep them for 3-5 mins. It's a great tasty way to eat loads of veg!

Back
Top Bottom