Natural Products for Home-Cleaning

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:41 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Using natural products to clean the house instead of using industrial detergents is something that I follow in my own small way and that I will hardly change because :

1. They work great
2. They are environmentally friendly
3. Health and wallet-friendly

Lemon
Using lemon to clean cutting boards is what I always do, I never wash them with dishwashing liquid or anything else.
Lemon is perfect for cleaning copper and brass.
When you add its juice to washing machine detergent, it whitens your clothes.
Water and lemon juice to clean the oven and also the fridge.
Remove limescale from taps by again using lemon together with bicarbonate (or just with white wine vinegar sometimes).

White wine vinegar
White vinegar then is also perfect for cleaning the bath or showers, sinks and the toilet since it is also a powerful sanitiser or perfect limescale remover just like lemon.
I also use vinegar to clean the fridge when I ran out of lemon.

I'm sure there are many others and it would be nice to know which ones you know or use and to share advices all together :)

I have never heard of using white wine vinegar, but have heard a lot about using white distilled vinegar. Perhaps the same thing, which different names in US and Italy.

CD

I reminded that some time ago I had watched a TV programme where they said (and then did) that potatoes are great for cleaning glass and/or mirrors.

I've never tried it but I'm very curious about it.

I use white (distilled) vinegar with laundry and with deodorizing my cutting boards, along with lemon; whenever I have a spent fresh lemon, I just rub down my boards with it.

I reminded that some time ago I had watched a TV programme where they said (and then did) that potatoes are great for cleaning glass and/or mirrors.

I've never tried it but I'm very curious about it.

Reminds me of using the inside of banana skins for polishing leather shoes. Not that I've tried that either.

I think baking soda has a host of uses. In fact I believe there are whole books written about it.

Oh, an obvious one - boiling water. I pour boiling water over my ceramic cooktop, let it sit, and that crud lifts right off.

Reminds me of using the inside of banana skins for polishing leather shoes. Not that I've tried that either.

I think baking soda has a host of uses. In fact I believe there are whole books written about it.

Baking soda is great at absorbing odors. All my life our family has kept an open box of baking soda in the fridge to soak up odors from things like onions and garlic. It lasts about three months, then dump it into your disposall in the sink, run the disposall, and it will deodorize that, too.

People used to brush their teeth with it, too, but that is nasty tasting.

CD

Back
Top Bottom