Need help with salad recipe

I'm also haunting thrift shops for interesting dinnerware, since we only have white corelle in the house. So far, nothing. The day I found purple glasses, I didn't have the money on me to get the whole set. :(

Maybe go for black dinnerware? Plates are going to be important for this event. :)

Thanks for the dressing info, @morning glory. I've heard of xanthan gum but never tried it.I would love to try the raspberry puree. I wonder if the red cabbage could be pickled first, maybe with the red pearl onions, so I can enjoy them. That could replace the beet in the recipe.

@medtran49- blackberry vinaigrette sounds delightful. Where can I find a recipe for that and the mustard? Black grapes and dried cherries sound good. I guess I'll have to buy a lot of veggies and experiment.

@Elizabeth8 - I've never used rutabagas, how are they handled? I have raspberry sorbet and red velvet cake on my list of potential desserts. I love cheesecake, too, though. I'll definitely be posting the final recipes with pictures once it's done.

@rascal- I am planning a beet soup. I found a few recipes I want to try out. They all make me hungry. But I might go for a red pepper soup instead and do a side of beets with blood orange sauce, which looks like something a vampire would eat- it really looks gory. I could probably do about 5 variations of this meal. It's so much fun.

I'm also haunting thrift shops for interesting dinnerware, since we only have white corelle in the house. So far, nothing. The day I found purple glasses, I didn't have the money on me to get the whole set. :(

We used to do murder mystery nights here with dress up to suit the character. It's very funny, good luck with your night.

Russ

It would look good with the black plates I've already collected.

Excellent!

Re the red salad I happened to have quite a few of the ingredients listed already in the house and have now bought some red endive. I'm going to have a try at making a red salad using the raspberry puree I mentioned before as a dressing. Hopefully, I'll post it up today or tomorrow with photos. :)

Incidentally - our new Recipe Challenge is featuring Paprika, which happens to be red! So you could perhaps submit an entry for the challenge in practice for your dinner and also keep an eye on the entries for possible ideas.

Last edited:
@Windangel - here is what I did. I like the way it looks and the dark photos but need to tweak some ingredients Hopefully it will give you some inspiration or ideas.

fullsizeoutput_4dfe.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4df9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom