New Chooks/Chickens names needed

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:50 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So I came home with 5 new chooks yesterday. A local lady is downsizing and they were AUD $10 each and already adjusted to the climate (useful at 1,000m altitude because the winter wind is something else, hence the wind farm 1km away....). They are commercially breed, sex linked Rhode Island Reds, have the white colour in the tails .

Our top chook is also a Rhode Island Red but doesn't have the sex linked gene, so is chestnut with a blacker tail.

JJ our top chook and actually the same breed! She's a very old girl now at 8-9 years old but could live to be 12!

Silver, an almost identical girl in markings but her comb is floppy. It folds over. Her mum had some Leghorn in her, hence the floppy comb. She's actually a 2nd generation Easter Egger who laid blue (shelled) eggs...

So names? We need 5.

We currently have
  • JJ (Just Judith) top chook and eldest at 8-9 years old
  • Arya (came with that name), 7-8 years old
  • Silver (5 years old)
  • Lily (6-7 years old)
  • Buffy (she's a buff Sussex and after get sister died went from being called Little (buff) to Buffy. Her sister was called Large...
  • Pebbles, Rock & Stone (almost identical lavender Sussexes and huge at 5kg each!
  • Ptarmigan (named after the bird because her first moult she turned speckled white instead of speckled brown! A speckled Sussex)
  • Stacey
  • Lacey
  • Blueberry (a blue Araucana)
  • Chequers (a Maran Araucana)
  • Lavender (a lavender Araucana)
  • Snowflake (named after snow drops only she's huge so we used the Aussie variant of a snow drop, a snowflake.) A white Australorp
  • BlackBerry (big and black) a black Australorp
  • Sally (a buff laced Wyandotte or a buff laced Sussex)
Previous names of now deceased birds
  • Princess Layer (came with that name)
  • Henny Penny
  • Harriet
  • Jane
  • Pipper
  • Tilly
  • Clara
  • Tilda
  • Speckles
  • Henrietta

Last edited:
Lovely looking birds!

For names, how about naming them after flowers? You could have Rose, Lily, Violet, Daisy, and Hyacinth (if you’re a fan of the TV show Keeping Up Appearances!)
Thanks. Lily (1 of our chickens) and Daisy (a very dear friend's dog) are already in use, but its certainly an idea we could build on.

Thanks. Lily (1 of our chickens) and Daisy (a very dear friend's dog) are already in use, but its certainly an idea we could build on.
Lovely animals. Congratulations. I love naming ...I am baking at the moment so I have to keep an eye on it, but, Rhonda, Rita, Ira, Shushu, and Fiona come to mind in an instant...any use?

Call them after egg dishes: Frittata, Scramble, Florentine, Kuku, Omelette. :D
I was thinking the same thing!

Well, you really should give one a proper Rhode Island name, like Pawtucket, but because it’s a chicken, change it to Paw-cluck-it.

Claw-tucket would also work. That’s two of ‘em named right there!
You should see the spurs on some of my girls including my oldest...

<goes off to see if it is visible in photos>

This is one of the spurs on my oldest girl. That's her left leg, so they point inwards and grow on each leg.
It's not common for hens to have spurs but as they grow older, they do get them. Hers are not too bad. But on my lavender Sussexes, they are lethal but because they have a blood supply to them, cutting them needs to be done with cauterising at the same time to prevent the risk of bleeding to death. We used to have to regularly trim the spurs on our rooster (as in every 8 weeks! ). With our girls, they don't fight and we are aware of them so we leave them alone.

How about greek or roman goddesses? Just from the top of my mind, you have...

- Hera
- Persephone
- Demeteer
- Aprhodite/Venus
- Ceres
- Vesta
- Athena
- Hestia
- Artemis

Back
Top Bottom