New Chooks/Chickens names needed

I can't tell the buff Orpingtons apart so they never got named. I really should put leg tags on them.
That's what we've had to do with our Lavender Sussexes, though we used coloured cable ties because chicken leg bands just don't seem to be big enough (the end was chopped off and a nail file taken to the edges to remove the sharp corners.

Even though they’ve been named, I’ll add two more names from twins on my mom’s side of the family a couple of generations back, just in case you get some more chickens:

Callie & Hallie

I don't know if it's bad for hens, but shepherd do spray a small graffiti on their sheeps. The gases might be bad, but it's a small dose. You could use numbers for each name

I don't know if it's bad for hens, but shepherd do spray a small graffiti on their sheeps. The gases might be bad, but it's a small dose. You could use numbers for each name
I doubt it would work to be honest.

Chooks would attack each other if one looks different and if you accidentally sprayed the number in red they would be constantly pecked at by the others (and themselves if they can reach it). They are weird like that. If you have an identical flock and introduce a single new breed into the flock, they'll likely attack that single bird for being different. They are incredibly racist. I run a mixed flock for that very reason.

Plus they dust bathe a lot so it wouldn't stay on for very long because of the abrasive nature of dirt particles. There is a veterinary spray that is blue, to cover up any blood on a chook to stop them pecking at the wound (they peck because it is red). I've had to use it after a fox attack and had to spray it on 2 or 3 times a day to keep the wound blue.

Back
Top Bottom