New Orange Line Trains

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
4:51 PM
Finaly, & at long last, after many failed attempts to try one of the new Orange Line trains, I was able to ride on one of them today!! Got on it at State Street Station, rode it all the way to Oak Grove, then all the way to Forrest Hills, then back to Haymarket Station. Then, just for kicks & giggles, I rode the Green Line to the new station after Lechmere & back to Park Street before changing over to the Boston College Line!! The new OL trains are very nice & ride smoothly, except for the switches, which are a bit noisy. But I was able to see & ride one for the first time ever! Took some pics of it, but they are stuck in the phone until I can get them onto a Sandisk card. The announcement came on the platform that a new train was about to arrive, so I waited for it. :)

Sounds like a fun day! It's fun to just get out and explore. :okay:

CD
Actually, it was after the appt that I had with my doctor. Was going to come back home at first, but I decided to try one more time to see if I could ride one of the new trains! The interior LED lighting really makes a difference!! Brightly lit!! The best I've seen so far!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Actually, it was after the appt that I had with my doctor. Was going to come back home at first, but I decided to try one more time to see if I could ride one of the new trains! The interior LED lighting really makes a difference!! Brightly lit!! The best I've seen for far!! :whistling:

Whether you planned it or not, it sounds like you enjoyed it.

I've kicked around the idea of taking AMTRAK from Dallas to Los Angeles in a sleeper car, just to do it. Just to have the experience, for better or worse. One of those, "Why not." experiences.

CD

Whether you planned it or not, it sounds like you enjoyed it.

I've kicked around the idea of taking AMTRAK from Dallas to Los Angeles in a sleeper car, just to do it. Just to have the experience, for better or worse. One of those, "Why not." experiences.

CD

I DID enjoy it!! it was great fun!! I've been wanting to do it for a long time. Now the new Red Line trains will be the same, except that they are slightly wider. But there's only one new train operating on that line so far, So I'll have to wait until more of them are in service. The old trains on the Orange Line look much more worst than the old Red Line trains. Deliveries of them there were quickly accelerated to start taking some of them out of service. They are an embarrassment to even be seen!!! :ninja:

Last edited:
I love trains and, as I´m currently in London, use them as often as possible. It´s all so easy because the network of underground and overground trains is so extensive, there´s service every 3-4 minutes and travel from one part of London to another is just so simple.

I love trains and, as I´m currently in London, use them as often as possible. It´s all so easy because the network of underground and overground trains is so extensive, there´s service every 3-4 minutes and travel from one part of London to another is just so simple.

So do I!! I think they got new trains over there also!! A few other cities in the USA have gotten new ones. CRRC, the co. that's making the new trains for Boston, have also started making some for Los Angeles as well. Chicago is getting new ones also from the same co.!! DC's new trains in the bottom pic. London's new train is below that one. Extreme bottom: Mockup of new R-211 car for New York City!! :whistling:

Last edited:

I hate the underground. When I lived in London, I travelled by London cab mostly or bus - or often walked. I just hate being enclosed underground with crowds of people.

I hate the underground. When I lived in London, I travelled by London cab mostly or bus - or often walked. I just hate being enclosed underground with crowds of people.
Both MrsT and I fully, completely love the underground. It’s an attraction all on its own for us. There would be times where, if we had nothing planned, like between lunch and supper, we’d just hop the underground and go out and back somewhere, just for fun.

I wrote a song/poem years ago, while being “homesick” for London, and two of the lines were:

It may sound strange, but what I’m missing
Is that greasy, Underground air.
What I’d do for one more quiz night
At my local pub over there.

Not too deep, but I do love the smell of the underground, because it’s that weird mix of hydraulic grease, fried food grease, and just a hint of body odor that joins together to make this totally unique aroma that, the moment you get a whiff, you say, “Yup…that’s the underground.”

I do love the smell of the underground, because it’s that weird mix of hydraulic grease, fried food grease, and just a hint of body odor that joins together to make this totally unique aroma that, the moment you get a whiff, you say, “Yup…that’s the underground.”

Brilliantly put. Your words immediately evoked that atmosphere. I do quite like the smell, but crowds of people, especially in enclosed spaces makes me feel very panicky.

Brilliantly put. Your words immediately evoked that atmosphere. I do quite like the smell, but crowds of people, especially in enclosed spaces makes me feel very panicky.
Thank you. :)

Here’s the weird thing: I hate crowds. I mean, I hate them, right down to my marrow.

I also hate waiting for things, like waiting to be seated at a restaurant, or queueing to get a theatre ticket or a beer, and slow traffic, stuck in a line behind a tractor or whatever.

That’s all true, except when I’m in the UK. I want to be clear, too, in that I’m not saying, “Oh, I’m just so happy to be in England, I can put up with this. If I have to wait 30 minutes to be seated, at least im waiting in England.”

It’s not that.

I can’t say it any other way except to say, when I'm there, those things just don’t bother me, they just don’t register. Anywhere else, I’m cussing up a cloud, but there, it’s more like, “What, wait for a table? Sure, I don’t care. Why would I care?”

Now, a rare negative thing I’ll say: I love the underground. I 🤬 hate BritRail. I’m no damn rookie, I’ve ridden trains in a dozen countries or more, and I’ve taken BritRail trains up one side and down the other, and I’d rather deal with a train in the farthest reaches of Assbackwardistan than have to deal with BritRail.

But oh, the underground. I could live in the underground.

And I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out the best song that mentions the underground (more than once) is Kristofferson’s “Casey’s Last Ride:”

The poison air he's breathin' has the dirty smell of dying
'Cause it's never seen the sunshine and it's never felt the rain

How’s that for a lyric?!

Back
Top Bottom