1 1/2 tsps baking powder
225 mls (1 cup) buttermilk
215 mls (1 cup) mayonnaise
1 tsp vanilla essence
for the topping:
200 gms dark chocolate
200 mls cream

Method:
  • Measure the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder into a bowl and mix well together
  • Beat the buttermilk, mayonnaise (Nick recommends Hellmann's) and vanilla essence together until smooth
  • Preheat the oven to 350F
  • Line a 9" cake pan with buttered greaseproof paper
  • Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and pour the contents into the cake pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan.
  • Gently heat the cream in a small pan. Add the chocolate, cut into small pieces, and stir continuously until the chocolate melts and incorporates into the cream. Allow to cool for a while before pouring the ganache over the chocolate cake.
    Chocolate Mayo cake 1.jpg
    Chocolate Mayo cake 2.jpg

Ingredients:
260 gms (2 cups) all purpose flour
220 gms (1 cup) sugar
45 gms (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsps baking powderaking
225 mls (1 cup) buttermilk
215 mls (1 cup) mayonnaise
1 tsp vanilla essence
for the topping:
200 gms dark chocolate
200 mls cream

Method:
  • Measure the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder into a bowl and mix well together
  • Beat the buttermilk, mayonnaise (Nick recommends Hellmann's) and vanilla essence together until smooth
  • Preheat the oven to 350F
  • Line a 9" cake pan with buttered greaseproof paper
  • Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and pour the contents into the cake pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from the pan.
  • Gently heat the cream in a small pan. Add the chocolate, cut into small pieces, and stir continuously until the chocolate melts and incorporates into the cream. Allow to cool for a while before pouring the ganache over the chocolate cake.View attachment 107875View attachment 107876
So this is the recipe I looked at and considered. Whats is taste like? Does the mayonnaise add anything over the usual cakes made with oil recipes?

I was wondering if someone would make a chocolate cake. I'm sure it tastes great since everything I've made from Nick's cookbook I have has been very good.

I'm not all that fond of cakes, so I am not a good one to comment. It certainly is interesting, and I would try a slice. :okay:

CD

I remember back in the early 1980's, Blue Peter (UK kids program) did a chocolate mayonnaise cake that we baked as a trial. It was great. I've long since lost that recipe, and can't find any trace of it when I last looked online, but I do like cakes made with oil over butter and not just for the obvious dairy allergy reasons.

baking powderaking
Just curious, is this a typo or a product name I don't know?

Hahaha!! Just a typo. I'd try to correct it but I'm having serious connectivity problems with the internet. I don't think the phone company has done any maintenance for about 10 years...

Back
Top Bottom