Nostalgia foods

The TV dinners I liked were the Salisbury steaks and the fried chicken ones. Loved that little brownie as a kid.

One of Craig's faves was Big John's Baked Beans. They came as a duo of cans, 1 the beans, the other the "fixins."

The TV dinners I liked were the Salisbury steaks and the fried chicken ones. Loved that little brownie as a kid.

One of Craig's faves was Big John's Baked Beans. They came as a duo of cans, 1 the beans, the other the "fixins."
I remember those beans, the "fixin's" were attached with a sort of piece of tape and you had to separate the cans.

When my mom would buy things from the grocery store, it was always Kroger-branded (shop's brand) items, and the quality was almost always much lower back then. I actually remember looking at those beans on the shelf and dreaming that that was what rich people ate. :laugh:

Tum tum, a type of sugared wine gums my grandma loved. I always got a handful when I walked through the door.

I got through endless car rides blowing bubbles from this/

These were fun. They were pretty and tasted nice.

These were my family's favorite fresh for sale fries for saturday night, sadly they're no longer for sale.

Hard to find pics of most nostalgia foods for me. I'll keep looking.

Tum tum, a type of sugared wine gums my grandma loved. I always got a handful when I walked through the door.
We call those gumdrops or spice drops here, depending on how they're flavored. I love 'em!

The cupcakes I made yesterday...that's what's chopped up and added on top to make a little stained glass effect.

I have to say the only retro candies I miss from childhood - and probably if I had the second one now, years later, I'd not miss it! ....

Candy cigarettes. They were good, and they never encouraged me to smoke. Even at age 9 when I had my first real cigarette, I didn't expect it to taste like candy. I only tried it because if broccoli smelled bad but tasted great, maybe real cigarettes would as well. (Both my parents smoked). Real ciggies didn't. (They got banned because it was thought they'd bring us children into the smoking fold.)

Pixie sticks. Straight up sugar with flavorings stuck into straws, sometimes rather sour (which for me was a selling point). As noted, I'd probably hate this today.

I have to say the only retro candies I miss from childhood - and probably if I had the second one now, years later, I'd not miss it! ....

Candy cigarettes. They were good, and they never encouraged me to smoke. Even at age 9 when I had my first real cigarette, I didn't expect it to taste like candy. I only tried it because if broccoli smelled bad but tasted great, maybe real cigarettes would as well. (Both my parents smoked). Real ciggies didn't. (They got banned because it was thought they'd bring us children into the smoking fold.)

Pixie sticks. Straight up sugar with flavorings stuck into straws, sometimes rather sour (which for me was a selling point). As noted, I'd probably hate this today.
We still have candy cigarettes here. If you really want some, PM me an address and I'll send you a little care package (seriously, I will!).

We used to have chocolate cigarettes as children as ST Nicholas gifts, but those are banned too.
I haven't seen these in a while, but we used to have bubble gum ciggies and they were dusted in cornstarch or something like that. You could actually take a drag on one and blow out a little puff of "smoke!"

Every once in a while, Kroger here has these, and it is like winning the lottery. :woot: They are a New Jersey thing.

Unknown.jpeg

CD

On the subject of crisps, I recall Seabrook's (based in Bradford in Yorkshire) making garlic flavoured ones some years ago. I remember having them for the first time in a pub in Newcastle some time back in the 1980s. To be honest, I thought they'd be a bit bland, but they definitely had a kick to them. Sadly, they discontinued them ages ago.

On the subject of crisps, I recall Seabrook's (based in Bradford in Yorkshire) making garlic flavoured ones some years ago. I remember having them for the first time in a pub in Newcastle some time back in the 1980s. To be honest, I thought they'd be a bit bland, but they definitely had a kick to them. Sadly, they discontinued them ages ago.

Yeah - given all the many flavoured crisps on the market one would think there would be a place for garlic flavoured.

Back
Top Bottom