Oatmeal

Kake Lover

Veteran
Local time
8:36 PM
In my search for oatmeal in the shops and online I have discovered that the term means different things to different people and countries.
So a British recipe requiring oatmeal is actually asking for finely ground oats not rolled oats.
I
Last October I tried unsuccessfully to buy oatmeal to make a traditional Parkin.
It seems to be in the Scottish supermarkets but not where I live.
I have yet to find what I am looking for in my local shops (West Manchester UK).
Online searching leads me to sites that will sell me 12kg or need a ridiculous postage price for a low cost product.

Some of the recipes in the challenge ask for oatmeal so I really want to buy some.

Last edited:
Mornflake medium oatmeal stoneground 500g
£1.15(23p per 100g)

oatmeal.jpg

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-286017-Mornflake+medium+oatmeal+stoneground

Thanks, I've checked and they do deliver to my area. Just not sure if I want to pay for an online shop, minimum order is £40. The nearest Waitrose is on the other side of Manchester so not practical unfortunately.

In my search for oatmeal in the shops and online I have discovered that the term means different things to different people and countries.
So a British recipe requiring oatmeal is actually asking for finely ground oats not rolled oats.
I
Last October I tried unsuccessfully to buy oatmeal to make a traditional Parkin.
I have yet to find what I am looking for in my local shops (West Manchester UK).
Online searching leads me to sites that will sell me 12kg or need a ridiculous postage price for a low cost product.

Some of the recipes in the challenge ask for oatmeal so I really want to buy some.

To make oatmeal, simply process oats (any sort, really) in a food processor (I use a mini chopper) until they resemble flour, or whatever texture you require. Simple! - and I have made Parkin using it.

To make oatmeal, simply process oats (any sort, really) in a food processor (I use a mini chopper) until they resemble flour, or whatever texture you require. Simple! - and I have made Parkin using it.
Depending on the parkin recipe milled porridge oats do not work properly. Proper parkin requires medium ground oatmeal not finely ground. It does make a huge difference.

I thought you said West Manchester. Isn't there still on in Wilmslow?
Wilmslow is south. I live on the edge of the Wigan and Salford District boundary. Bolton centre is nearer and easier to get to than Manchester town centre. Trafford centre is not too far. I will look in the health food shop next time I go.

Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda, Morrisons are all reachable but only have medium ground.

I'm not going to give up!

Depending on the parkin recipe milled porridge oats do not work properly. Proper parkin requires medium ground oatmeal not finely ground. It does make a huge difference.
So I can use normal rolled oats then? I don't buy jumbo oats.

For your oatcakes, I will need fine?

Wilmslow is south. I live on the edge of the Wigan and Salford District boundary. Bolton centre is nearer and easier to get to than Manchester town centre. Trafford centre is not too far. I will look in the health food shop next time I go.

Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda, Morrisons are all reachable but only have medium ground.

I'm not going to give up!
Then northwich. It's not far. My OH worked in Warrington, my grandfather was from that area with my mum having grown up in the area just north of the ship canal.

If you want finely ground, just food process or better still coffee grinder or spice grinder and then any other put through a seive the medium oatmeal you can get.

So I can use normal rolled oats then? I don't buy jumbo oats.

For your oatcakes, I will need fine?
Normal milled oats are soaked and partially cooked first before being redried. That's the difference and it can affect recipes.

Oatcakes are definitely finely ground and oatmeal or porridge oats should work.

Sorry, I was thinking of the one in altrincham, not far off the trans Pennine trail.
There's also one in alderley edge (iirc).

There's lots of Waitrose stores around south Manchester to cater for the well healed Cheshire set.
I have a friend who lives near Alderley Edge and another in Knutsford, I'll have to remember to go to the Waitrose next time we visit, unfortunately that's not very often.

I

Is oat recipe are cheaper than other recipe ..I ever tried oat recipe because i am cake mad..I ill always cook cakes with different natural ingredients..Shall we discuss if cake made with oats??how it will be??

Is oat recipe are cheaper than other recipe ..I ever tried oat recipe because i am cake mad..I ill always cook cakes with different natural ingredients..Shall we discuss if cake made with oats??how it will be??
There's a traditional cake called Parkin that has oatmeal in. It is a dark, slightly chewy, spicy, quite filling cake, usually made for Bonfire Night at the beginning of November when it's dark and cold.

Back
Top Bottom