Odd or daft instructions on food

Arch

Guru
Local time
10:38 AM
NT and I are having pizza and garlic bread for dinner. I just checked the instructions for heating the garlic bread, and the final instruction is

"Serve and Enjoy"

No mention of actually eating it....:wink:

I'm often confused by the 'serving suggestions' on certain foods. I spotted a boxed victoria sponge cake with a photo of the cake on a cake stand with a piece missing, that piece was standing on a small plate next to it Helpfully printed beneath the photo was 'Serving Suggestion'.

I'm often confused by the 'serving suggestions' on certain foods. I spotted a boxed victoria sponge cake with a photo of the cake on a cake stand with a piece missing, that piece was standing on a small plate next to it Helpfully printed beneath the photo was 'Serving Suggestion'.
It's a get-out for the makers. By saying "serving suggestion" they deflect any arguments that could possibly arise from people daft enough to think that it will come complete with a cake stand and a piece pre-cut.

Yes, there really are some people that dopey.:eek:

Oh yes, serving suggestions, I had them in mind too.

Wierdest one I saw was when I worked at Iceland, and our own brand tuna came with label that featured a drawn image of a shoal of tuna fish. And the words 'serving suggestion'! So, you get the tuna out of the tin, wrap it back up in skin, stick a head and tail back on....

Another 'get out clause' I saw was on the outside wrap of a multipack of biscuits - three packs with a wrapper round the outside, with a picture of one biscuit printed on it, the image being about 4 inches across. And tiny letters saying "Biscuit not shown actual size".

I found this 'allergy advice' quite silly

2012-09-09%252017.06.30.jpg

As they're soya beans I'd hope it did!

I found this 'allergy advice' quite silly

2012-09-09%252017.06.30.jpg

As they're soya beans I'd hope it did!

Digressing, but do you ever wonder how the heck we learned to eat some food? They need 8 hours of soaking, 10 minutes of boiling, and THEN you can put them in a slow cooker for hours....

Digressing, but do you ever wonder how the heck we learned to eat some food? They need 8 hours of soaking, 10 minutes of boiling, and THEN you can put them in a slow cooker for hours....
Bill Bryson went off on a similar tangent in one of his books about one type of food or another. Or at least I think it was Bryson...

Us foreigners learned yous, simples :roflmao:
Seriously, all dried pulses need at least 10 min of brisk boiling before simmering to tender, because if you don't do that you'll get a sore belly!

Us foreigners learned yous, simples :roflmao:
Seriously, all dried pulses need at least 10 min of brisk boiling before simmering to tender, because if you don't do that you'll get a sore belly!

When I said 'we' I meant more like the first humans! I don't think there was us and yous back then....:wink:

When you think of the things that need cooking to be edible, or at least safe, I guess humans spent millennia poking things into fires to see what happened. I bet the first person to heat a corncob got a surprise!

(Takes up Neanderthal stance). Man make popcorn!

<whispers in background> And woman wash up pot afterwards....

I saw a demo on a TV show the other day of the explosive quality of bamboo - for the same reason as popcorn, the moisture expands to steam in a fire, but because of the segmented stems, the pressure builds up and it blows up like fire crackers. Not edible though, so a bit OT...

(Takes up Neanderthal stance). Man make popcorn!
<whispers in background> And woman wash up pot afterwards....

it's the reverse in this household. I do all the cooking (and make the popcorn), make the mess in the tiny kitchen we have, successfully using all of the pots, pans and dishes and my timing is so superb that my OH will arrive home just as I finish cooking and am starting to clear up... I get shoo'ed out the kitchen with a huge sigh and 'that look' and my husband rolls up his short sleeves, tidies and washes up. :smug: The only thing I have not yet trained him to do is wring out the dish cloth and hang it up to dry...

Mind you I have a dodgy left hand, can't tell when I have cut it, burnt it, banged it etc and can only tell I'm holding something, not how well... so coating china in a layer of something slippery and expecting me not to drop it is not feasible. so after we had gone through the first dinner service, my OH took over the washing up duties... I think he got fed up of taking me to A&E constantly as I adjusted to life without full feeling in the hand and I was left handed...There has to be an some advantage to having a partial feeling in my left hand from nerve damage! I just have to watch coordination very carefully...

It's not too much of an issue when we live outdoors because everything is metal (we eat out of the trangia bowls) so I can't break anything I drop... but put me back in a house and expect me to live in a civilised manner and things get broken...

it's the reverse in this household.

Actually, it's the same with us. I tend to cook and NT washes up, because he does it better than I do.

That's when we're at mine. At his, we generally eat with his parents (they have a granny flat downstairs), so I'm spoilt rotten and neither have to cook or wash up.

Back
Top Bottom